How much time do you spend...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doodle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Caring for your tortoise(s) on a daily/weekly basis? Just curious how much time everyone spends feeding/handling/cleaning/etc their tortoise(s).

Shelby13

5 Year Member
UK
I spot clean our horsefields indoor enclosure when necessary (some days it's a few times others just once) it depends if he has been in his outdoor enclosure or not. We feed him small amounts a couple of times a day as he doesnt eat a great deal in one 'sitting'. We then spend about 10mins or so each time bathing him a few times a week. I can sit for hours just watching him as he has such a character so prob spend more time than is necessary on him!

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
About an hour and a half to two hours a week unless I am working on putting new stuff in or it is spring/fall when I have to put them out only during the day. Thats only the mandatory stuff (feeding,watering, cleaning, soaking), usually I will hold them or just watch them roam in there cage. Also I usually spend more watching them all graze in my yard.

Maggie and Torie the Tort

5 Year Member
USA
I spend about my whole day with my Tortoise. We work together, I clean her enclosure, I watch her eat and take a bath, we go on tortoise forum together, and we watch t.v. Together. So probably about anywhere between six to ten hours together.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I spend around a couple hours a day. Sometimes much less and sometimes much more when I am working more intensively in the yard.

Weldd

10 Year Member!
10-12 hours/week. More in the warmer months when everyone is active.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Definitely depends on the season but here's a rough time breakdown estimate for me...

Adult General Care: 1hr/day
Hatchling Care: 2hrs/day
Tortoise Related Work: 2-3hrs/day

Special Cases...
Female laying eggs: 5ish hrs that day (depends on what female is laying)
Eggs Hatching: extra 1-2 hrs a day

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
10 minutes/day cleaning & feeding, 20-min soaks 4-5 days/wk, about 15-20 mins handling (mostly at training), and countless hours of observation & note-taking because they're super fun!

Btw, I have Hermann's torts.

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Darwin[TURTLE] & Wallace[TURTLE]
Winnipeg, Canada

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Wow, you guys are lucky! Some days during the week I barely get to see my torts awake cause of my work schedule, and I hate it. Weekends are often for tort life improvement projects at my house -- working on the enclosure, planting tort friendly plants, etc.

Alas, while I treasure my time with them, my torts don't really seem to need time with me. It's a completely one-sided relationship. I obsess about their well-being constantly and they are only interested in me when they think my toenail polish is a flower. Come to think of it, they remind me of some ex-boyfriends I've had....

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
thatrebecca said:
Wow, you guys are lucky! Some days during the week I barely get to see my torts awake cause of my work schedule, and I hate it. Weekends are often for tort life improvement projects at my house -- working on the enclosure, planting tort friendly plants, etc.

Alas, while I treasure my time with them, my torts don't really seem to need time with me. It's a completely one-sided relationship. I obsess about their well-being constantly and they are only interested in me when they think my toenail polish is a flower. Come to think of it, they remind me of some ex-boyfriends I've had....

Lol @ Torts and exes! But I hear you about the lack of time. In a way, I'm lucky that I only require 6 hours sleep, so I'm up early. I also have 3 dogs, so I try to get them involved as I do things, with the torts.

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Darwin[TURTLE] & Wallace[TURTLE]
Winnipeg, Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.