How much grass is too much? (And an update)

kambcba

Location (City and/or State)
NC
Day 5 - 3rd soak (as advised) and no diarrhea.

Yes he’s in my bath tub lol. He seems quite happy soaking and enjoying head rubs.

Yesterday marked a HUGE improvement in his poop. No more diarrhea. Soft, dark brown, formed feces with grass in it. The better diet seems to be doing the trick 😁

How much is too much grass in his poop?

He’s been spending a lot of time out of his too small enclosure. We are going for walks several times a day, 30 mins to an hour, and will continue until his large enclosure is ready. Very close I promise. (As I said, he came to us sooner than expected but he needed to get out of the home he was in. I swear I’m doing the best I can until his 2500sqft + enclosure is ready (he has over 5000 sqft but I’m splitting it in half) and he’s certainly doing better than he was in a 6x6 box being fed fruit).

Anything else I need to be doing?

Attachments

• IMG_0471.jpeg
    IMG_0471.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Undigested grass might be from incomplete digestion.
What are his temperatures?
This guy looks pretty rough. I'm glad you are attempting to make his life better

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
No such thing as too much grass for the giant tortoises. That should be the main part of the diet.

With a grass diet, you will certainly see the undigested fibers of grass in the poop. Some of the fiber in grass is not digestible and will pass looking like dried grass. Perfectly normal and what you want to see!

kambcba

NC
No such thing as too much grass for the giant tortoises. That should be the main part of the diet.

With a grass diet, you will certainly see the undigested fibers of grass in the poop. Some of the fiber in grass is not digestible and will pass looking like dried grass. Perfectly normal and what you want to see!
Thank you. I understood it was ok but just wondered if there could ever be too much grass in their poop.

The diarrhea was more worrying g to me. At least that’s stopped.

He’s eating mainly grass and weeds, some flowers, kale and collards so far.