How does my sulcata look?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amber_123

5 Year Member
I bought little foot back in September 2012 how does he look for his age? Any tips for making him the happiest tort he can be? Thanks!!

image-3256851275.png

image-943150371.png

image-1049232945.png

image-3256851275.png

image-1298872546.png

Amber_123

5 Year Member
papayapa said:
Please read all Tom's threads.
You need to keep the humidity up like in the 80's, temps should stay at 80 degrees 24/7 all over the enclosure.
Basking 95-100 degrees
This will prevent pyramiding.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-35317.html#axzz1s7KwW130

Thank you! I bought him from a oetstore who knew nothing about him, I feel bad, I've owned him for 4 months and I'm just finding out about humidity but somebody already told me and I am going to get right in that! Thanks!

Amber_123

5 Year Member
RedfootsRule said:
Make him the happiest tortoise alive and keep him in an outdoor enclosure :).

I am really thinking about what you said in my other post, I have to talk to my mom because I can't build anything without their consent. Lol but I really think it sounds like a good I dea but I just upset because I feel like I wouldn't see him as much :(

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Florida
Amber_123 said:
RedfootsRule said:

I am really thinking about what you said in my other post, I have to talk to my mom because I can't build anything without their consent. Lol but I really think it sounds like a good I dea but I just upset because I feel like I wouldn't see him as much :(

Explain all of the pros of it and that it would make him and you much happier, and they will likely consent :).
It is often sad to put tortoises outside, because you feel like you don't see them as much, but the truth is a sulcata has to go outside eventually =/. And all tortoises are much happier outside and the natural sunlight is so much healthier for them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He needs a bigger enclosure, different substrate, high humidity 80%, UVB bulb, the best is a Mercury Vapor Bulb or a flourescent type is okay, but not the coil kind and CHE (ceramic heat emitter)for heat. A water bowl large enough for him to get in and out of on his own. Good food, dark leafy greens, unless you can still get wild flowers and weeds/grasses, check out the tortoisetable.org for safe edible Items and they should be dusted with calcium with d3 once a week. He is starting to pyramid, so I would get things corrected right away. Please read Toms threads, they are posted at the bottom of my post. Follow the and you can get the pyramiding to stop.

Amber_123

5 Year Member
RedfootsRule said:
Amber_123 said:
RedfootsRule said:

Explain all of the pros of it and that it would make him and you much happier, and they will likely consent :).
It is often sad to put tortoises outside, because you feel like you don't see them as much, but the truth is a sulcata has to go outside eventually =/. And all tortoises are much happier outside and the natural sunlight is so much healthier for them.

Okay thanks!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
What is the Substrate that you're using? It looks like peanut shells or something like it. The pellets you're feeding him is not good. Do u have grass and weeds outside? If u do, cut a lot of it and give it to him. If your yard is not treated with chemicals, then you can try to give it to him daily. For a variety, you may want to add spring mix, cilantro, green leafy things like kale, turnip leaves, collard greens, but no lettuce! You've got Tom's threads...did u read them yet? If not, READ IT NOW. The issue with humidity, if u can't buy a fogger or misting machine at the pet store, then you'll need to spray the enclosure often...not just once or twice a day. Just make sure his temps are above 80 degrees. How do you measure his enclosure temps now? Finally, it would be better to put coco noir with some organic soil as his substrate. Those pellets are too hard for your tort to eat and it's not healthy for him. Unless u make the food change, and get your tort more hydrate, he's going to get very sick soon.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
In my opinion, until he gets to be a decent size, I see nothing wrong with keeping him inside as long as you have a nice size enclosure. I don't know anything about your setup or your torts size yet, but I will go back and read your post's. I couldn't stand it if I just let Cooper go outside and left him out there. He gets outside time in warm weather, and inside he gets to run around a whole lot. So far he still doesn't go potty on the floor, but he also gets a bath everyday. Good luck!! :)

knighterson

5 Year Member
I've only been a tort owner for 9 months, so I'm definitely not an expert. But from the info I've gathered here, it seems you want to keep them in inside enclosures (with daily outside sun time) until they're 8"-10". That way, you can ensure the proper heat and humidity, and make sure they stay safe. That being said, they do need a certain size set up so that they get exercise and so that their can be a temp gradient from one end to the other. Others have said it, but I'll repeat- do yourself a huge favor and read Toms threads on raising sulcatas. Wish you the best!

Amber_123

5 Year Member
sibi said:
What is the Substrate that you're using? It looks like peanut shells or something like it. The pellets you're feeding him is not good. Do u have grass and weeds outside? If u do, cut a lot of it and give it to him. If your yard is not treated with chemicals, then you can try to give it to him daily. For a variety, you may want to add spring mix, cilantro, green leafy things like kale, turnip leaves, collard greens, but no lettuce! You've got Tom's threads...did u read them yet? If not, READ IT NOW. The issue with humidity, if u can't buy a fogger or misting machine at the pet store, then you'll need to spray the enclosure often...not just once or twice a day. Just make sure his temps are above 80 degrees. How do you measure his enclosure temps now? Finally, it would be better to put coco noir with some organic soil as his substrate. Those pellets are too hard for your tort to eat and it's not healthy for him. Unless u make the food change, and get your tort more hydrate, he's going to get very sick soon.

Well I am sure I don't want my baby getting sick, but I was told from the pet store ( horrible places they know nothing!) that he needed a reptile carpet which last night I was told is very bad for him. I use a tortoise mulch in his little hideaway/den but I will take the carpet out and just fillit with he mulch until I get some soil and coconut fiber stuff this week. I was very upset with the oetstore telling me everything that I am feeding him is okay and to find out it isn't. I am going to the store hopefully this week and I will buy different veggies and top soil and tortoise seed mix to plant for him. How much does a fogger or misting machine cost, please realize I'm only 14 so don't send me anywhere where something will cost $300 (lol) his temperatures never drop below 85 during the night and during the day he has it in the mid 90's.I measure his temperatures with two thermometers on each side they came with the lamps I bought him. I give him grass and weeds but he doesn't seem to like it, he just let's it sit there, should I mix some of it with his favorite vegetable chopped up and mixed together?

wellington said:
He needs a bigger enclosure, different substrate, high humidity 80%, UVB bulb, the best is a Mercury Vapor Bulb or a flourescent type is okay, but not the coil kind and CHE (ceramic heat emitter)for heat. A water bowl large enough for him to get in and out of on his own. Good food, dark leafy greens, unless you can still get wild flowers and weeds/grasses, check out the tortoisetable.org for safe edible Items and they should be dusted with calcium with d3 once a week. He is starting to pyramid, so I would get things corrected right away. Please read Toms threads, they are posted at the bottom of my post. Follow the and you can get the pyramiding to stop.

I have heard about pyramiding before but I'm not clear on what it is, how I fix it, or anything, can it kill him?

knighterson said:
I've only been a tort owner for 9 months, so I'm definitely not an expert. But from the info I've gathered here, it seems you want to keep them in inside enclosures (with daily outside sun time) until they're 8"-10". That way, you can ensure the proper heat and humidity, and make sure they stay safe. That being said, they do need a certain size set up so that they get exercise and so that their can be a temp gradient from one end to the other. Others have said it, but I'll repeat- do yourself a huge favor and read Toms threads on raising sulcatas. Wish you the best!

Thank you, I will definitely have a look, when measuring him do I go from side to side of the shell or head tontail?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Hi Amber, pyramiding is an abnormal shell growth where the shell looks "lumpy". The scutes grow up like a pyramid rather than out and smooth. It probably won't cause death, but there are some potential health consequences. It indicates deficiencies that may lead to metobolic bone desease that could cause pain an suffereing for the tortoise.

The best prevention that we know of is to provide proper care during the early stages of the tortoise's life. Those first 12 months are critical to establishing a growth pattern.

Here are some examples of pyramiding in tortoises. http://www.turtlestuff.com/pyramid

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello, first things first. You will need to correct the issues that you have now. I would suggest getting a 50 gal tub. Cocoir. A CHE. You already have a light. What type is it? Also get a duel gauge. Temp and humidity. When you get the bedding, put it in the freezer first. This will kill off any bugs. Then i suggest you follow step by step toms directions in the threads under my signature. There has been lots of sucess with this. If you have any other questions. Just ask. Make sure your humidity stays at 80% and do not let your temps drop below 80. If you have problems with this. Cover 1/2-3/4 of your enclosure with either plexiglass or foil...

Status
Not open for further replies.