How do you control fruit flies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
What do you do to manage fruit fly populations? I clean the food out of my tort's cage, and the cage is brand new and brand spankin clean as of two weeks ago. The cage smells clean and looks clean, but as soon as I put fruit in there I notice fruit flies around the room its in. What method do ya'll use to get/control them buggers?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here's a kind of sickening thought: I THINK that the fruit comes with eggs of the fruit fly. Because, like you, I can have a clean, fresh habitat and as soon as I place fruit in it, VOILA! fruit flies.

Thanks for that link, Robyn!

Yvonne

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Great site! Thanks! (And yes... I do think that some pests come on our food)

Madortoise

5 Year Member
I'm not sure if these were fruit flies but we had an infestation of gnats at my work last year. It even migrated from one site (LA) to another (Long Beach) and we were all so annoyed for months. We figured that they were laying eggs in pot of soil with plants.
In LA office, they threw out all the soils from potted plants and repotted them. That eliminated most of the flies. In LB, we tried trapping them w/a half of cut potatoes put in pots of plants and plastic sandwich bag over it...this yielded some success with flies suffocating in a bag but it was kind of gross. Many of our staff couldn't deal with chemicals so we dealt with these flies like this for many months and eventually they were all gone.
So, I wonder if those flies' eggs are in your substrate??

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I try not to let them bother me. They stay in the humid parts of my tort cages. But they stay away from my torts, so I don't mind. I've got em in the crested gecko tanks too. I figure, they are a part of nature, if they don't harm anything, I let be.

M

Maggie Cummings

Get rid of the fruit :D...they hang around where it's more wet then dry and wouldn't that describe your substrate?

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Well having a redfoot some fruit is kinda a necessity, as is higher humidity

M

Maggie Cummings

DoctorCosmonaut said:

I know it, I was trying and failing I guess to be funny...

DoctorCosmonaut said:

I know it, I was trying and failing I guess to be funny...

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
haha my bad. I fail at jokes all the time! My girlfriend never thinks I'm funny. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.