how do i worm my sulcata?

rosieposielee4

ok so iv taken my sully to the vet today to get them to give it worming treatment, they tried for half an hr to get sullys head out to put feeding tube in to give it him but he was being stubbern and they couldn't get sully to co operate, so they have given me the worming treatment past and told me to try get sully to eat it mixed in with food. is this gonna work? my sulcata is abut 1 yr old, was wondering if I shuld try open its mouth and sqirt it in? anyone any ideas? please advise thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
First things first. Did the vet run a fecal and confirm which species of worm(s) you are dealing with, and that they are in high enough numbers to be a problem?

Under no circumstances should you pry open the mouth and squirt the meds in. This would likely result in the meds being spit right back out, and could result in aspiration. Oral meds must be swallowed voluntarily or deposited far enough back in the throat (requires experience and know-how...) to keep medicine away from the airway.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If you have indeed determined that the tortoise has worms, and you have the right kind of de-wormer to kill the type of worms involved, then you can take the prescribed dose, mix it with some softened Mazuri and roll it up inside a leaf of lettuce. Hold the roll towards the tortoise and feed him from your hand until the roll is gone.