How bad is this Pyramiding

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeavensWind

5 Year Member
I didn't raise this tortoise. My friend did, he didn't take good care of it. I notice some bumps on the shell, i found out it was MBD/Pyramiding. On a scale to 1-10. How bad is this Pyramiding?

P1000387.jpg

I will be taking good care of this little tortoise. When it's hot outside, i leave him in the grass for some time. (Just for him to bask)

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
It does not look bad at all from the pic I might say a 2 :)

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
North East
My reds are about the same... and i feel mine are well taken care of..... I have seen smoother......but i've also seen a *ell of a lot worse!!! I'd agree with a #2...........

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
Thats not too bad at all... with time you may be able fix half of it for sure as it grows.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
I agree with 2. He doesnt look that bad compared to other tortoises i have seen, but with good care after a few years that should start to go away.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
The shell is not too bad at all. I would caution you about leaving the tort out in the grass when it is hot. Torts can easily overheat. Make sure he has access to shade and water when you put him outside. Redfoots don't need to bask at all, some enjoy it after a cool night but for the most part if kept in a controlled environment don't need it.

jeremyjtaylor

5 Year Member
Upstate NY, USA
The one I am getting very soon looks very similar... What in everyones opinion is the best way of treating this based on your experience?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
a 2 maybe 3 but I have seen lots worse, good humidity levels should fix that.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I may be seeing something that is not there, but the overall shell shape looks odd to me. There is relatively little pyramiding, but it looks like there may other kinds of MBD going on. Pyramiding- 2-3, but the other thing may be a 4-5. Better photos from other angles, however, may reveal that I am just seeing imaginary things.

Is the shell at all soft?

jeremyjtaylor said:
The one I am getting very soon looks very similar... What in everyones opinion is the best way of treating this based on your experience?

Good diet; supplemented with calcium, D, and fiber; proper humidity; good water and hydration; etc.- just good basic cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.