Housing Red Foot and Burmese Mountain Tortoise together

Travis

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin, USA
I know in general, you're not supposed to house tortoises together. But, I'd like to house my Red footed and a burmese mountain tortoise together for a period of time. I know they have very similar environments and diets, but I am not sure about their personalities, if they will clash.

My current Red foot is about 3 inches long. I would be getting a Burmese mountain that is about 4 inches long. So size wise they are very similar as well.

As far as what they will be living in, It is a sealed, homemade enclosure. The humidity, temp and lighting is very constant throughout the tank. It is 3ft x 5 1/2ft. So there is plenty of room for them both.

Thoughts on it all?

EDIT: If I do it, I will be monitoring their activity together closely for quite sometime to assure they are getting along.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
1. Species should not be mixed.
2. Tortoises should not be kept in pairs.
3. Any new tortoise needs to be quarantined for a period of months.

Under no circumstances should these two be housed together.

Both species are fantastic and congratulations on the new one, but please, do everyone a favor and house them each in their own enclosure.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ditto what Tom said. Why would you want to risk their health anyway? Keep them happy and healthy, which would be apart.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would like to know why your housing them together?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
These tortoises are from different portions of the world and if either harbors parasites/pathogens that are transmitted to the other it will be ugly.

I would not put them together.

81SHOVELHEAD

5 Year Member
Galveston TX
I have 6 red foots & 2 Burmese browns housed together in an outdoor enclosure that measures 21 feet long & 18 feet wide .
They have plenty of hides & so far after 2 yrs of being together 24/7 i have not had any issues .
As the Burmese continue to grow i will probably separate them but as of now they are fine .
All of my torts have been vet checked for parasites & of course the new additions are always quarantined for a period of 3 months B4 they are introduced .
Is it the right thing to do? Probably not, But it works for me .
I am already planning to add another 12 x 18 ft, of enclosure this fall.

waterfall 2014.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: