Hot and cold???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Beaver Falls, Pa
Ok so I got two babies the one still looks like it has its egg tooth but maybe I'm just crazy. I just have a few questions.

First the bigger of the two loves the warm side of the cage and buries in the mulch right near the repti heat pad. My smaller little guy goes as far from the heat pad and basking light as possible and buries himself on the much cooler mulch...does that mean something. Should I be concerned?

Second I have had them about three weeks and I haven't found any poop..I'm wondering is it because there so small its just not noticeable or if something is wrong. They don't seem to eat very much maybe that's the issue.....

And answers and or advice you can give me will help so much I just wanna make sure there ok. There red foots btw

theelectraco

5 Year Member
What are your temps on the 'cool' side? What about your ambient temps and under your basking light? Are they both eating? Post some pictures of them and their setup and we will help you adjust things accordingly.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I think the more experienced member will need more information. The temps and humidity; lighting types; and pictures would help.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if they are too cold they wont eat and cant digest.. if you have two and they are going to different areas, it might be because one is bullying the other. You might not even notice it.

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
Under the basking light the humidity is in the forties. On the cool side its usually upper 60's. Basking temps are low 90's and cool side is around 80-81.....and to be honest other then when I take the out of the mulch and put them by the food they are never near each other. When I first got them I put them in on the opposite sides and they pretty much staid on those sides. They don't cone out of the mulch much either they seem to like to be buried. My house is about 55%humid at all times because I have an iguana and it never gets lower then 70

Attachments

• 1365621990619.jpg
    1365621990619.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 1365622035399.jpg
    1365622035399.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 37
  • 1365622068923.jpg
    1365622068923.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 1365622098853.jpg
    1365622098853.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 32

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I would go with a more soil type substrate, and provide more hides, like plants. They aren't fans of bright lights either.

oh, and what do you feed them?

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
I feed then greens for example kale, spinach, romaine. And also carrots, green and red peppers. Summer squash and zucchini. That's about all I have tired with them.

And are there any safe soils I can get at like Walmart or lowes because I don't have a petstore near by so I can't get the coco fiber and that stuff. I'll take any suggestions I just want them healthy and happy

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
At Walmart you can by any plain TOP SOIL. it's about $2 for 1 or 2 cubic feet. or I like to use plain dirt from my yard :D it's free

Blgreek08 said:
and to be honest other then when I take the out of the mulch and put them by the food they are never near each other.

To me this sounds like a red flag for bullying. But I don't know about Redfoot Tortoise behaviors specifically.

robopeen

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area
Do you soak them? My Hermann's didn't defecate until she had a nice, warm soak when I first got her. I understand some people don't soak their Redfoots often, if at all, but you could try that.

Status
Not open for further replies.