Holiday Temperatures - what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
In a few months I will be going on holiday for a week and my dad will be looking after Milly, who will be nearly 2 then. Im the only one that looks after her usually and am the only one who understands the husbandry.

I have her on a day and night cycle. 12 hours UVB heat lamp on, 12 hours off - on a timer, this isnt an issue. At the cool end in the day is 27oC, and at night its 24oC, kept warm with a CHE and a thermostat to control cool temps. It will be summer when I go away and the room she's in turns to greenhouse conditions - sweltering.

As awful as it sounds, I dont trust my dad to turn the thermostat to the correct temps for day and night (its not a digital one, you control temps with a screwdriver on dial) and its really easy to turn it too hot and too cold.

My question is... do I leave the cool end at night time conditions 24/7 for a week or do I leave it in daytime conditions for a week? This might risk her getting too hot...? But because its summer i doubt she'd get too cold. Im so unsure on what to do for the best.

Im thinking of keeping the humidity for that week at 50%. This reduces the risk of illness and she does have a large water bowl to lie in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'd leave the CHE at your day time setting. 27 is a good ambient temp for a leopard. Of few days of too warm (I don't think 27 is too warm, btw.) is better, and less likely to be an issue, than a few days too cool.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I wouldn't worry about higher temps either. Mine love the hot days here in Houston where summer temps are usually 35-37 C. Leopards like warm temps, it is the cold and wet you have to watch out for.[/align]

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
I thought as much. My reptile-vet told me that 24oC should be the coolest temps all the time! But i dont agree at all. Is it possible for a tortoise to overheat? I know this might sound a bit crazy, but it will put my mind at rest while im away. They cant faint or anything like that can they like we do? And what do you guys think about keeping humidity a little lower while im not around?

Status
Not open for further replies.