Hingeback tortise question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsross1970

5 Year Member
I have a local pet shop who has a tortise listed as a forest hingeback tortise. But I don't know anything about the requirements for this tortise. Can anyone give me some ideas and information on these?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
I hear that they are very shy and they do love humidity kind of like Redfoots. Terry (Nerd) and Jacqui have them hopefully they'll chime in and give you some more information on them. :D

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Not the 'best' Pet Shop tortoise since they never come out of their "Leaf-litter/Moss" area until almost dark. Keep them in the low 80's very humid and 'dark' ! They are probably the K. homeona.. also known as "Homes" hingeback. See the link in my signature of their 'cousins' K. erosa.

Hope this helps...

Terry K

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Rsross1970:

970787qt1iqusolc.gif
to the forum!!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
They are a bit tough to get started, but once they get going they are great tortoises to have. They are a forest tortoise that likes higher humidity and a darker enclosure. I use coconut coir or soil as bedding and cover it with leaf litter, usually oak or maple. They like deeper water pans than other tortoises, and will spend quite a bit of time in the water. Their diet is omnivorous, they eat greens, vegetables such as squash, a little fruit and also worms, snails, slugs and insects.

Any of these tortoises that you see in pet shops are wild caught. They come from Africa. They can be quite shy, and I have noticed that mine do the most eating and mating right after a "rain." (I have a garden sprayer that I purchased specifically for this.)

Picky eaters can usually be tempted to start eating with butternut squash, tango, red oak leaf, red romaine, bananas, portabella mushrooms and a little lean strong smelling fish (once a week on the meat.) It is best to keep them in an out of the way place in the beginning, put the food in and leave.

A 75 gallon aquarium or larger would be suitable for one Hingeback, and although I usually think aquariums are bad for tortoises, it does help with the Hingebacks to keep the humidity up. You don't want the enclosure too soggy, or mold will grow and shell rot can develop. I would cover the back and sides of the aquarium and at least a strip of the front along the bottom to make them feel more secure.

If you choose to buy one I would take it to a qualified tortoise vet for a check up, fecal test and deworming. Being wild caught they usually have parasite burdens.

Welcome to the forum!

Kristina

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Adding to what others have said...

Other very popular foods are earthworms, melons, and mangos for hard to get started. Also success has happened with trying Mazuri. I find if you have their feed dish near their hides, they start eating better if you have a shy one.

Once they are use to you, they are very outgoing and friendly. They even become great beggers. Sometimes you need to be very very patient to get them to that point. The main key is to get them eating.

They are most active early mormings and again late evenings.

Are you seeing them like this?
002-1.jpg

or more like this..
003-1.jpg

106-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.