Hii New User Here! OverGrown Beak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaylee00230

5 Year Member
my Russian Tortoise ever since i got her two weeks ago has had an overgrown beak or upper lip has been overgrown down below her bottom lip. i dont know whether to take her to a vet that specializes in reptiles or to get her a harder diet that will sand it down. :tort: and since that im writing this, whats the best thing to have a tortoise use to sand down their nails too?? thank you everyone :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Kaylee00230:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Its best to have the vet file the beak and nails the first time. Ask if he will show you how and you can do it next time (if it becomes necessary).

Once you have the beak filed down, you can feed the tortoise on a rough piece of cement, stone or tile. This will keep it in shape.

Tortoises walking around outside usually don't suffer from long toe nails. It is always best to have your tortoise in a safe outdoor pen.

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum...

A vet will be the best and then once its fixed, it will be easy to maintain with the things Yvonne has suggested..

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
A vet would be a fast fix. If you're patient, and have the means, outdoor time in a good sized enclosure with edible plants will take care of both problems.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! Like was said, besides feeding on the rough surfaces, allowing your Russians to rip and tear up entire leaves or naturally graze, especially on the tougher fiber weeds will help to naturally keep it wore down. :cool: So how did you happen to get a Russian?

Status
Not open for further replies.