Hides

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texastort

10 Year Member!
hi everyone! Quick question. My torts are outside and I have built 3 large caves for them to hide in. Occasionally they will sleep in them during the day. What I am wondering about is at night. They dig a little ditch in the same spot each night and sleep out in the open. I have tried putting them in the caves at night and they climb out and sleep in their spot. Is this normal? Are my hides not good enough? I worry about them being so out in the open at night. Thanks!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Try putting a temporary hide over there favorite spot and see if they sleep in it, if they don't they may not like hides.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
try different things... my russian will sometimes be under something or dug in to a corner.. the sulcatas are almost always in thier box, as is the desert..
the desert has 1/2 a dog crate, upside down.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I block my tortoises inside their houses at night so they can't come out until I unblock the door.

Texastort

10 Year Member!
emysemys said:
I block my tortoises inside their houses at night so they can't come out until I unblock the door.

Interesting. Does that stress them out? I am wondering if I should do that to train them to sleep in there. It is concerning me about animals getting to them. One errant possum stumbling across them and it's over versus them being in their caves.

Attached are pics of the area they are sleeping in and two of the caves. Are these good or should I modify them some way? And yes, they sleep together every night. So cute! :tort:

Attachments

• IMG_0722.JPG
    IMG_0722.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0724.JPG
    IMG_0724.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
Status
Not open for further replies.