hi there im new

Status
Not open for further replies.

animal lover

5 Year Member
hello i'm new.... of course. i'm from denver colorado... i don't have a tortoise yet but i'm in the middle of getting one maybe two... so hello:)

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
Welcome to the forum. What kind of tortoise or tortoises are you looking to get? Candy

animal lover

5 Year Member
IDK... i'm still thinking about it. i really want a cherry head tortise and a sulcata and a hermans... but i honestly don't know... can you help me or maybe give me some other suggestions.

animal lover

5 Year Member
I don't really know... i'm still thinking about it. i really want a cherry head tortise and a sulcata and a hermans... but i honestly don't know... can you help me or maybe give me some other suggestions.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
WELCOME to the forum animal lover! Whats your name? :)

Wishing you good luck in finding a tortoise! They are addictive :) I love my little one

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Nice to meet you Carolyn :D
I'm Stacy !

I have a Jordanian Greek tortoise, Tallula, she's about 8 years old and the most awesome, funny, very adventurous little girl :) This forum is fantastic, everyone here has helped me with every little worry and question I've had, so the Pro's will help you choose a great tortoise:)

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hello Carolyn welcome to the forum. I think what might help you decide what tort you want is size. Do you have room for a 100 pd tort and what would you do during the winters. Thats what I thought about when I got my first torts. Also another thing would be housing requirements for each type. I don't know if this will help you with your decsion. Good Luck with deciding on your tort choice.

animal lover

5 Year Member
well. i don't think i have room for a hundred pound tort. I have a really big backyard. but during the winter i would have to keep it in my house and i don't know how much space i could offer unless i let it roam the house when i'm there. i was thinking about a hermanns or something like that

micki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
uk
hi Candy and welcome to the forum.:)

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Hello Carolyn:).
I'm new here to and in the same boat as you.
Hopefully my tortoise is arriving later this month.
Good luck with the decision making, it's tough choosing for sure.
Do lots of research and talk to as many tort owners as possible.
Cheers Sue

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! Hermanns are a nice size for most folks I think. Makes having to house it inside during the winter months a bit easier. :D The redfoots are great too, but once more your talking about a bit more size to deal with.

sendie

10 Year Member!
Lake Jackson, TX
I'm another vote for the Hermann's :) We've had one for a couple years and have a new baby "on order". I also have a couple Black Mountain torts, but they need high humidity and get pretty big so you may not be interested in them, but they're SO funny!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Hi Carolyn welcome to the forum.:) There is lots of info in the different species specific forums that could help give you an idea of what type of torts you might want. If you are looking for what some call a starter tort. That is one that is fairly easy (if any tort is easy) and small not over about 9 pounds then you might want to look at a Hermanni, Greek, Marginated, or Russian.

I suggest you try and get one from a reputable breeder (we have those here on the forms) rather than a pet store as they seem to have less health issues, plus you have the added knowledge of when they were hatched, the parent line, plus most reputable breeders give good aftercare for your shelled one.

Please look into a Reptile vet in your area (Hopefully one with tort experience), before you receive your tort, so if there are any emergencies you are prepared. When you select the type of tort you want do research, research, research, on their care. (I say this only because a lot of tort keepers make a decision, get the tort, then are panicked with questions and second guess themselves regarding care and diet. When I decided I was going to get a Tortoise I did over a year of research and ended up with two Greeks, not my first choice. But I fell in love. And even though I did lots of research and still do, I did not know that the Greeks I had received did not hibernate. So I had to change tactics and set up an area for winter habitation, which was something I had not thought about. Thank goodness I had an room I could turn into a Tort room because now I have 13. :p (yes, like potato chips, I can’t have just one). So even with research be prepared to have the unexpected happen, sometimes it does. :)

Ask lots of questions and when you get your little one please let us know and we love pictures.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.