Hi, new here..would like your info on Sulcata's please

Status
Not open for further replies.

redhen

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi, i will (hopefully) be getting a Sulcata next week sometime...i have been researching them quite a lot, but, i would really like your info and tips on raising them....it will be only a few months old when i get him/her. also, i would really like to know what exactly to feed him...and how much per day...and also..what vitamins/calcium i will need to give him. also, lighting questions..which bulbs are the best...and how to use them....etc...what is the best starter house for him?..i have a rabbit type cage..with a plastic tray at the bottom and wire at the top(do you know which kind i mean?)...or i have heard some peole use a rubbermaid tub(but i am concerned about needing a top for that..)....lol...sorry to be so long winded!..:)..i just want to make sure i do everything correctly for him...thanks so much, Wendy.....p.s.,.also.i just read a thread on here about substrate and humidity issues....so what is the right substrate to use? and ..how can i keep up the humidity with a wire top cage?..ahh!,,this is confusing....and also, how wet should his substrate be?..i thought they were desert torts?...(..now i'm really confused..lol)

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I use eco-earth... their humidity is good and it hasn't caused them any discomfort what-so-ever... but you can mix it with topsoil for even better results... you can feed them spring mix from the produce section at grocery stores, www.bigappleherp.com has good deals on flourescent lights (reptisun 10.0) and you can get any heating lamp from there too. I use rep-cal pure calcium for days they're able to go out in the sun and rep-cal w/D3 for days when they have no sun, rep-cal also makes Herptivite which should be given to them 2-3 times a week(calcium a tiny amount daily). They need a big home, provide them with a hiding area. DO NOT USE SOLAR DROPS. soak the hatchling everyday in warm water for 5min and leave accessable water in their home for when their thirsty. www.sulcatastation.org has excellent information on caring for them.

redhen

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi dcoolguy!..thanks for the info.. i appreciate it very much....another question, how moist do i keep the eco earth?..and would a wire top cage be okay to start the hatchling off in?..will he stay warm enough in that type of cage?...also..i am still confused as how to keep his humidity up?...doesnt he need to be in a almost sealed cage to keep up humidity?...i'm sorry..i just cant grasp this concept yet....any help on it would be greatly appreciated...thanks again so much for replying to my question. Wendy

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
the eco earth is a brick of coconut fiber, you put it in a bucket and fill it with water about 1/2 way maybe more let it soak for about 10-15min and it will expand, let it dry off for a little bit and mix it with topsoil... this will keep moisture for a while(buy a humidity gauge) the humidity prevents pyramiding. If the humidity is between 40-50 spray the top layer with water, but not too much. But the 50/50 eco earth & topsoil should keep the moisture real well. A wire top cage? not sure what that is lol. but the cage does not need to be sealed to keep humidity that's the job of the substrate. Only one side of the his/her home needs to be warm, which the heat lamp will do.

tortoiselady528

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I house all my hatchling in guinea pig/rabbit cages with the solid bottom for a while, until they can go outside full time. I do this for easy transport to the backyard for some time in the sun. Just add the wire whenever you take them outside and it is nearly preditor-proof.

redhen

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
thanks again dcoolguy..and thanks tortoiselady...i really appreciate any help i can get...i really want to make sure i am doing things right for him/her, and you guys first hand experience is the best advice i can get...i also just bought the book "Turtles & Tortoises for Dummies"..(very appropriate for me)..LOL..so, thanks again guys!, Wendy

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
well i just got my first pair of sulcatas on sept 26 lol... i just got a lot of info from everyone here, they're very helpful.

krissy2288

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
california
:Dfor my tortoise i have used a tararium, its easy to keep the humidity perfect if you put a lamp on it then put blankets over the top.

here are some pics

Attachments

• 1101081115.jpg
    1101081115.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 1101081116a.jpg
    1101081116a.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 25
  • 1101081117.jpg
    1101081117.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 19

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I have Greeks but have fostered Sullys and others. I have used an open top tort table, glass tank and rabbit cage. I personally love the rabbit cage, as tortoiselady528 has said it makes it easy to take them out for some sun. I have a corner in the cage that I keep moist sphargum moss in sometimes they will bury themselves in it sometimes not. but it does keep the humidity up. I just sprits it daily.
Oh and yes Sullys are desert type torts but are known to dig deep burrows in which they spend the heat of the day inside as thes burrows help keep the heat down and they urinate and poo in them so it keeps the humidity up in those burrows. It has been determined that a higher humidity helps with normal shell gorwth and a decrease in pyramiding. Hope this helps.

redhen

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thank you Krissy and Crazy1, ....i think i may try the rabbit cage thing..but, here is a pic of a enclosure that i was going to start off with..its 2 ft x 2ft...i dont think i will be able to use it though because i dont think its long enough for me to get a hot side of a tank and a cool side...or can i use it?...i put a hidey rock in there and some fake plants to try to show you the size of it...(if i used it, i would use real plants and stuff.)...the turtle will only be a hatchling...so, is this thing useable for a little while?..or no?..thanks, Wendy..p.s., dont mind the cat..he's just being nosy..lol..the house would have a top on it..

2008_11020077.jpg

2008_11020079.jpg

2008_11020081.jpg

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...It is usually not recommended to use tanks for tortoises. I use under the bed sized rubber maid type containers with cypress mulch and sand mix for my babies. They have an xlg half round log to hide in with damp long sphagnum moss Mosser Lee is the best I think). I got it at Walmart in the garden center. Spritz the surface of the moss any time it dries out.
Also you don't need to buy the specialty heat lights. Just use regular household bulbs.
My husband made me a screen top, made with 2" x 2" wood and screen with 1/2" squares. He also made me a cart with wheels to set the tote on so I can wheel it out onto the deck when I want to.
I don't see how you can use a rabbit cage and keep the substrate in it. Also, won't the heat dissipate with 5 sides of big holes? A tote seems a better choice. Some get the 55 gal tote. I just prefer the under bed or Christmas wrapping paper container tote cause I can see them from across the room.
Good luck
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.