hi just new..

Status
Not open for further replies.

angdavis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
sandy utah
i have 3 sulcatas and i have had two for two years and they are still the same size as when i got them? there shells are hard and are bright eyed, move around very well. but dont eat much and not growing??? what am i doing wrong?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Welcome to the forum :) like Kristina said we need some more info:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi "angdavis":

Welcome to the forum!! May we know your name and where you are?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
welcome...
something isnt right.. so provide more info and maybe post some pics and we will try to help.

angdavis

5 Year Member
sandy utah
hi guys!! thanks for the replys... my name is angalee, and i live in utah.. i bought my sulcatas from a breeder in az. in summer there are out side eating grass all day.. but winter is when i struggle i have a 10.0 uvb(desert) and a 150 w uva and also a red heat lamp for night.. i have them in a huge tubber ware enclosure in a room in my house during the winter they eat only greens and veggies..(kale romain and spinach mix carrots and tomatoes) they get soaked every day for 20 min.. i feel like im doing things right but.. idk
angalee

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
What kind is your 150 watt bulb ? The 10.0 uvb desert does not put enough UVB /UVA for a Sully if your 150 watt is not a MVB you should get one also what are your temps? :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Everyone does things a little differently, but your set up sounds "good enough". I would tweak a few things, but none of it should be causing no growth in two years. Can you give us there actual weights in grams?

The first two links in Kyrah's post above should help you fine tune things a bit. Maybe you'll notice a glaring error that we have not caught on to yet. It sounds like you have some failure to thrive, but normally they would not still be alive, if that were the case. You might need to "seed" their intestinal tracts with some poop from an established, healthy sulcata. I know it sounds really gross, but do you know anyone near you with older, healthy, well-sestablished sulcatas? If yes then ask for some really fresh poo and give it to them with their food. I know it sounds gross, but this is how little ones do it in the wild. I'll mail you some if need be. PM me if that's the route you need to go.

angdavis

5 Year Member
sandy utah
RE: LIGHTING

coreyc said:
What kind is your 150 watt bulb ? The 10.0 uvb desert does not put enough UVB /UVA for a Sully if your 150 watt is not a MVB you should get one also what are your temps? :)

my 150 uvb is "all living things" brand basking buld and i run that with the 10.0 uva at the same time.. i have it 16 inches away from them so that leaves me with a 100 degree basking spot and at the other end it doest get below 75 degrees.. my enclosure is 3 feet long and 2 feet wide.. where do i get a mvb bulb?

Tom said:
Hello and welcome. Everyone does things a little differently, but your set up sounds "good enough". I would tweak a few things, but none of it should be causing no growth in two years. Can you give us there actual weights in grams?

The first two links in Kyrah's post above should help you fine tune things a bit. Maybe you'll notice a glaring error that we have not caught on to yet. It sounds like you have some failure to thrive, but normally they would not still be alive, if that were the case. You might need to "seed" their intestinal tracts with some poop from an established, healthy sulcata. I know it sounds really gross, but do you know anyone near you with older, healthy, well-sestablished sulcatas? If yes then ask for some really fresh poo and give it to them with their food. I know it sounds gross, but this is how little ones do it in the wild. I'll mail you some if need be. PM me if that's the route you need to go.
hi tom, if its poop i need than its poop i will get.. the torts i got had abnormal patterns on there shells have you ever seen that?

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
RE: LIGHTING

angdavis said:
coreyc said:

my 150 uvb is "all living things" brand basking buld and i run that with the 10.0 uva at the same time.. i have it 16 inches away from them so that leaves me with a 100 degree basking spot and at the other end it doest get below 75 degrees.. my enclosure is 3 feet long and 2 feet wide.. where do i get a mvb bulb?

Tom said:

hi tom, if its poop i need than its poop i will get.. the torts i got had abnormal patterns on there shells have you ever seen that?

You can get one on ebay like a powersun

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you mean like split scutes? Show us some pics and we'll be able to give you some better info.

I use tinypic.com for posting pics. Its really easy. Just upload any size photo and then copy/paste the IMG code into your forum post. You don't need an account or anything.

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Tom said:
I'll mail you some if need be.

I've always wanted to mail poop to somebody. In my daydream though, the scenario was much different.

All kidding aside, good luck with your sullies!

angdavis

5 Year Member
sandy utah
shell abnormalities..

has anyone seen this?? this guy is two yrs old!!
and weighs.047kg
513i3r.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Angalee:

He's very small for 2. I know that sulcatas are supposed to eat grasses and weeds, but I think your babies haven't been getting enough to eat. I would switch them over to a base diet of Spring Mix with some blades of grass and bits of weeds mixed in.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I would get some mazuri and see if they'll eat it, and let them have as much as they like.

luke

5 Year Member
SoCal
RE: shell abnormalities..

angdavis said:
has anyone seen this?? this guy is two yrs old!!
and weighs.047kg
513i3r.jpg

Those Scutes definelty look irregular, I hope nothing is wrong with him. How many times per week do you feed them, and do you give them Calcium/D3 or vitamins?

My Two baby GPB are a few months old and they weigh 50g.

Status
Not open for further replies.