Hi I'm new ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.

LupusCantus

5 Year Member
I live in Maryland currently and I don't have a Tortoise yet. I am hoping to get one but I'm trying to decide if I have the ability to take care of it. I was hoping that I'll find some help here on figuring out what a beginner needs for a tortoise (specifically a russian tortoise).

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Hi and welcome!! :)
I dont know much about Russian tortoises so I cant help you. Hopefully someone else can and you can decide if that's what you want.
Glad you joined!! :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) A Russian is a great beginner tortoise. They are also good escape artist, so be sure the indoor and outdoor enclosure is escape proof. They are also burrowing torts, so you have to pay attention to securing the ground in the outdoor enclosure. They don't need high humidity, around 40-60. That's about all I can help with. Others can help with more.

Hesh1212

5 Year Member
Hi and welcome too lol :]
I'm a total beginner too and I thought I wouldn't be able to do it. It's actually quite easy and very fun. I fell in love with my tortoises Hesh. I was fortunate to have a friend give me his tortoise cage and accessories so I didn't have to buy anything. Although, I did buy new mulch and a water dish. When you buy your tortoise, the tortoise will pick you!

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Take a look at some care sheets on russians and go in the russian tortoise section and look at older threads

LupusCantus

5 Year Member
laney said:
How will you be housing it? Indoors or outdoors?

Indoors and I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do with the enclosure.

LupusCantus

5 Year Member
Hesh1212 said:
Hi and welcome too lol :]
I'm a total beginner too and I thought I wouldn't be able to do it. It's actually quite easy and very fun. I fell in love with my tortoises Hesh. I was fortunate to have a friend give me his tortoise cage and accessories so I didn't have to buy anything. Although, I did buy new mulch and a water dish. When you buy your tortoise, the tortoise will pick you!
Lucky, my sister might have some leftover supply from her previous reptile but not sure.
I hope a tortoise will pick me. Speaking of getting a tortoise, where did people get there tortoise/or any healthy happy reptile. I heard petco and petsmart catch their tortoise from the wild. I also was thinking about ordering one from reptmart but they do the same thing.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
So your not wanting a WC (wild caught) one? That leaves you with most likely having to get a hatchling. If you want to go that route and don't mind shipping, there are several breeders to get one from.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome. As a potentially new owner of a tort, I suggest you read the thread below my name that was written by an experienced tort owner, Tom. I believe it was about his russians. Thanks.

LupusCantus

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
So your not wanting a WC (wild caught) one? That leaves you with most likely having to get a hatchling. If you want to go that route and don't mind shipping, there are several breeders to get one from.

Not that I don't want a wild caught one, when I was researching some people said not to get a wild caught tortoise. Not thinking about if they are not wild caught, where are good places to get a russian tortoise? Is petco and petsmart okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.