HI (Greek tortosie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamiem21

5 Year Member
I am new to the forum and to the tortoise community. I just recently bought my son a greek tortoise for his birthday. He loves it and is his pride and joy. We let it out in the garden to browse around to eat and get some sun and needless to say he wondered off :( We looked everywhere for him in our yard, including the woods. Just a question, would he maybe come out to a light for heat if we were to put one outside? We just want to find him and hate that this careless mistake was made. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi! Sorry for the grief your now going through. Keep in mind, these guys can blend into the surrounding area and become rocks. Do not beat yourself up about this, it happens to all of us. :( How long has he been gone? What have your local temps (highs and lows) been since he wandered off. He may come to the light, but it would be a wild shot in my opinion. But I know I would be trying anything to locate one of mine. Have you gotten on your kneees and really felt around? Especially under grass clump roots, bushes, fence lines, even steps or sheds if it can get under them. Check in the area the sun hits, especially early morning.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I am so sorry. I hope you find him!!!! Good luck to you.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
So sorry hope you find him soon

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome. You may want to set up a heated hide outside, and u can check it early in the morning. It's only a thought.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jamie and welcome to the Forum!

I take it your yard isn't fenced?

The best way to find a lost tortoise is to look first thing in the a.m. when the sun first starts to shine on stuff in the yard, like on the fence, etc. Little Mediterranean tortoises will find the sun spots and sit there to warm up.

No, he won't come to a light. They generally dig in at night.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Hi, what happens to your greek now? Have you managed to find it? Good luck :)

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Hi and welcome to the forum. How about an update, did you find him?

Status
Not open for further replies.