Hermans,or Greek

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalem

5 Year Member
Hello guys,I'm new to the forum have'nt got a tort yet,but I soon hope to.I do have two bearded dragons that I love greatly.I have a question for some of you that have had both Hermans,and Greek torts.Is there much personality difference in the two? I want one that is outgoing,and would enjoy interacting with me.Next question is size difference is there any.If any of you have pics of adults side by side would be helpful.Last question whitch is the more hardy,and less health problematic.Any,and all advice would be very helpful.Thanks.Dale.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
dalem said:
Hello guys,I'm new to the forum have'nt got a tort yet,but I soon hope to.I do have two bearded dragons that I love greatly.I have a question for some of you that have had both Hermans,and Greek torts.Is there much personality difference in the two? I want one that is outgoing,and would enjoy interacting with me.Next question is size difference is there any.If any of you have pics of adults side by side would be helpful.Last question whitch is the more hardy,and less health problematic.Any,and all advice would be very helpful.Thanks.Dale.

Hermann's tend to be a bit more outgoing, very little size difference, both are about equally hardy, in general.

Sometimes Greeks are a little less expensive, if WC...cb/b, pretty much equal.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
They are the exact same care wise so I think it just comes down to which individual tort you want and go with that one. Try to find a local breeder and choose which one you want from him or if you can get individual pics from breeders online I would do that.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
dalem said:
Thank you,any more input would be helpful.

Well, I've kept both, but prefer Hermann's...but Greeks are great, too.
Diet is the same, temps are the same, enclosure needs are the same...some Greek subspecies are slightly less tolerant of dampness/cooler weather, but overall, it's like the difference between keeping two different breeds of similar-sized dogs.

I feed mine local weeds/green mix, cactus pads, spring mix, Marion Red Tortoise sticks/dry weeds mix, alternating by day (so they get each food item about 2X a week.) Once or twice a month they each get a single large straweberry (a treat that they don't really need, but love...and a little spoiling won't hurt 'em. :p)

As much as possible, keep your pet outside, as sunlight is vital to their health, they must ALWAYS have shade they can get into, as over-heating can be fatal. Depending on where you live, it maybe possible to put your pet out for warm afternoons, even in winter...mine go out on the porch any day that gets to 70 or so for a few hours...that much sun, at least a few times a week, will keep them healthy throughout the winter.

Minimal inside enclosure would be 3'w X 6'l X 2't, although larger is even better.

Outside enclosure can be as large as you care to make it (my regular enclosures are 7.5' X 5' X 3', my quarantine enclosure is 6' X 3' by 2.5', and I'm gathering the materials to build an enclosure that'll be 20' X 8' X 3')...you really can't make one too large for the tortoise's happiness.

What else would you like to know...lest this post get too long-winded (I've been known to get that way, I'm told... :rolleyes: )

dalem

5 Year Member
I'm from north Alabama just a little south of Huntsville.Thanks for the great advice so far still contmplating,but the information I've got so far has been very helpful.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
dalem said:
I'm from north Alabama just a little south of Huntsville.Thanks for the great advice so far still contmplating,but the information I've got so far has been very helpful.

Either species would thrive in your area, so definitely build it an outside enclosure for the warm months...during the cooler months, you can still let it get some sun on warm days.

If you decide on a Greek, go with an Iberian (Testudo graeca ibera)...a very hardy subspecies, and one commonly available.

Status
Not open for further replies.