Herman's hibernation and memory.

camerart

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
Hi,
I have a Herman's tortoise, here's a photo, with her friend sunbathing, last year. (slow worm)

All summer she lives in a greenhouse, with a 'cat flap' at the rear. This isn't a natural route, and I had to teach her.
Late summer she went to her stone built cave, where she can dig down for the winter. She hibernated from early October to early March.
I wanted to know if she would remember her summer residence, and the first day out I found her in the greenhouse, so she must have remembered.
I find this really interesting, and hope you do to.
Cheers, Camerart.

Attachments

• Sun bathing.jpg
    Sun bathing.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 17

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA

camerart

Uk
I agree with you on the memory. They remember very well.

You will find this article very interesting.

Hi K,
Your article was interesting, and I didn't know there had been tortoise tests, on those big ones.

Yesterday, I was in the greenhouse with Tanya at my feet, a bit slow, as it's chilly.
After a while she went to window looked out for a few minutes, then went in her box, and 2 minutes later there was a hailstorm, and I had to wait till it stopped to go back inside. Was it time for bed, or did she know the weather was going to change.

I once had a job installing pig feeding systems.
I was in a sty, with my power tools on a step ladder, at one end of the sty. The pigs, being inquisitive, started nudging the ladder, so I tapped them on the nose, till they went back to a line. I had to go outside and push a cable through the rear of the sty. I went almost out, and the pigs went to the ladder, so I tapped them back repeatedly, till they didn't cross the line. I went outside and pushed the cable through, then came back inside, and pushed through the pigs, pulled the cable the length of the sty, to where I was working, and the pigs were still at the line. I carried on working, and the pigs slowly moved forward, and started on the ladder again.
I was quite surprised how easy they were to train, and if I hadn't been working, would have trained some of them to do tricks.

What memory or other test should I try on Tanya?
Camerart.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
What memory or other test should I try on Tanya?
Camerart.

I've heard that pigs are very bright. It seems your experiences support that!

A useful lesson is target training. You use an object, say a colored disc on the end of a stick, to train the tort to follow the disc. Very useful when someone wants a huge sulcata to go where the keeper wants.

If you try it, you must post videos! ?