Hermann tortoisr RI?

Charleylight

Hi, I'm concerned about my 8 year-old hermann tortoise. For the last couple of weeks I have been able to hear him squeak pretty loudly when he exhales. I knew that this is a common sign of respiratory infections however he shows no other symptoms like a moist nose or loose poo. He's kept in a 5x3 tortoise table with all the proper heating and lighting. I use mixture between top soil and play sand with some tree bark as a substrate which a spray down a couple of times a week. All responses are appreciated.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Hi, I'm concerned about my 8 year-old hermann tortoise. For the last couple of weeks I have been able to hear him squeak pretty loudly when he exhales. I knew that this is a common sign of respiratory infections however he shows no other symptoms like a moist nose or loose poo. He's kept in a 5x3 tortoise table with all the proper heating and lighting. I use mixture between top soil and play sand with some tree bark as a substrate which a spray down a couple of times a week. All responses are appreciated.

Squeaking is not automatically a RI sign....you will want to provide information about the enclosure....day/night temps, humidity level/or do you provide a warm humid hide? Do you offer daily warm water soaks for the tortoise? Have you had the tortoise for the entire 8 years?

Tortoise do make noises, so noises alone do not mean a RI;

http://www.quijano.net/tq/turtlesounds.html

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Sometimes sand can be an irritant. I would go with some sort of small bark substrate like orchid bark or cypress mulch, and moisten it slightly. See if that clears up the squeaking.

If you don't see any bubbly nose or runny eyes, and he still has a good appetite, then just change out the substrate and heat up the habitat slightly.