Hermann diet

Kimm91

I need a list of greens I can buy in a supermarket like asda in Glasgow is purple radish and watercress ok? I can't find spring mix if anyone would help that would be great

Thanks

Kimm :)

M

Maggie Cummings

Spring mix should be in the produce section...he'll also eat dandelions, grass, hay, blossoms, rose petals, grapeleaves, Rose of Sharon....

mandyR

I have 2 hermann I get spring greens, mixed florette crispy lettuce, pak choi, pea shoots. I can't seem to find much in the way of edible weeds for them in my location. They do like the white bindweed flowers and leaves and dandelion leaves and heads. It is better for them in the long run if they can be on a more weeds diet

Kimm91

Great thanks everyone I found spring mix and I've got clovers and dandelion in my garden

Kimm :)

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
I have 2 hermann I get spring greens, mixed florette crispy lettuce, pak choi, pea shoots. I can't seem to find much in the way of edible weeds for them in my location. They do like the white bindweed flowers and leaves and dandelion leaves and heads. It is better for them in the long run if they can be on a more weeds diet

Hi Mandy

I'd leave the pea shoots on the shelf next time, they're not a good food choice. http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?catID=705
Have you thought about growing your own weeds?

mandyR

Yes I bought a packet to grow and then saw a big debate on what's safe in these packets so I didn't start it. Went for a 5 mike walk the other day and virtually everything I brought home was a no feed

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
You can also feed him kale, mustard greens, turnip greens, raddichio, brussel sprouts, endive and escarole. Some more healthy weeds include plantain (not the fruit), chicory, thistles, bittercress, deadnettle, etc., and lots of wildflowers. Make sure all of the weeds that you feed him are harvested from areas that haven't been treated with pesticides/fertilizers. :) I'd definitely reccomend checking out that tortoisetable website Yourlocalpoet reccomended.

ness

My tortoise only wants to eat the pellet food, should I starve her to get her to switch. She likes to be hand fed so sometimes I trick her into eating other stuff but when she realizes she walks away... Any suggestions?