hermann diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

dale_albert

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
my tortoise lives basically on organic batavia lettuce and a variety of vegetables, although after reading varoius topics, his diet need to change
can hermanns eat cabbage leafs?
carrott?
ive tried to grow weeds such as dandelion in pots before and he seems to like them, can anybody reccomend anything else which could be found in my garden (i live in england, by the way) which he would eat and would be nutritious?

thanks a lot!

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
Most folks know my stance on this... if you are having trouble filling a diet for whatever reason... you can fill the void with either Mazuri or any of the T-Rex tortoise diets.

Cappage leaf is acceptable but only as a small portion of a highly varied diet.

Just about any broad leafy weed is acceptable... if you have bunnies in your area... watch what they eat... that's fair game for a tortoise... and then some.

Keep in mind that different plants look differently through various stages of their development and where they are grown... You would have to become a botanist to actually know what you are feeding your tortoise.

There are many plants that are very easy to ID but there are many more that are useful for feeding tortoises...

Ed

dale_albert said:
my tortoise lives basically on organic batavia lettuce and a variety of vegetables, although after reading varoius topics, his diet need to change
carrott?
ive tried to grow weeds such as dandelion in pots before and he seems to like them, can anybody reccomend anything else which could be found in my garden (i live in england, by the way) which he would eat and would be nutritious?

thanks a lot!

cosmomom

5 Year Member
Hello - I am a new Hermann owner, but I have read and been told that they can eat shredded carrots for a treat. I tried some for my little guy - he is only 5 months old - and he did like them mixed with his greens. I shredded into small pieces with a veggie peeler..

dale_albert said:
carrott?

thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.