Here's an interesting question.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
FLORIDA
My brother and I were talking and a question came up. Can a tortoise jump???

What do you think???

Jamie

1 Sulcata (Bowser)

www.myspace.com/bowsertortoise

:rolleyes:

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
No, though a snapper will lunge and the big-headed turtle (Asian) climbs very well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Babies will usually lunge at you as a protection device and it looks quite a bit like a "jump."

Yvonne

M

Maggie Cummings

I have startled Bob and he has gotten all 4 feet off the ground and rammed me. So it is my experience that large male Sulcata will jump. Bob has always been masculine. He jumps in the air and hits mid calf...or at least it looks that way...:)

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Iowa, U.S.
maggie3fan said:
I have startled Bob and he has gotten all 4 feet off the ground and rammed me. So it is my experience that large male Sulcata will jump. Bob has always been masculine. He jumps in the air and hits mid calf...or at least it looks that way...:)

I misread your comment about hitting mid calf for a second. I had this image of Bob jumping in the air and clicking his heels together, or something. That would be cool to see.

Evan

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
BigBiscuit said:
I had this image of Bob jumping in the air and clicking his heels together, or something. That would be cool to see.
Evan

LOL!! :D

Yvonne

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Iowa, U.S.
DuttonWebb said:
Omg...thread of the year! Haha. The question should be. "do tortoises river dance?"

I think only Irish Turtles river dance.

Evan

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
BigBiscuit said:
DuttonWebb said:
Omg...thread of the year! Haha. The question should be. "do tortoises river dance?"

I think only Irish Turtles river dance.

Evan

LOL, You guys are funny. Doris lifted all 4 off the ground yesterday. It was more of a hop though. I finally figured out she was pissed that my son was talking to her and petting her not feeding her. Spoiled kids. :D

Dawna

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Lol I was just reading this....being a newbie and all :) And my Jordanian Greek Tallula climbs onto her log hide and pushes herself off the top, it sorta looks like she's jumping off, but she's really just pushes her front legs over the edge and kicks off the back! She seems to LOVE it though, I worry that she hurts herself but she seems to be ok....its just really funny ! ANd she gets back up on the ground and does it again!

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
I was thinking that they didn't, but I was watching an animal show and they mentioned that elephants were the only animal that can jump. But I guess that the experts on tv consider the "lunge" as a type of jump.

Thanks for the comments :)

Jamie

1 Sulcata (Bowser)

www.myspace.com/bowsertortoise

:rolleyes:

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Iowa, U.S.
Stazz said:
Lol I was just reading this....being a newbie and all :) And my Jordanian Greek Tallula climbs onto her log hide and pushes herself off the top, it sorta looks like she's jumping off, but she's really just pushes her front legs over the edge and kicks off the back! She seems to LOVE it though, I worry that she hurts herself but she seems to be ok....its just really funny ! ANd she gets back up on the ground and does it again!

I came across this video. It is hilarious. I think of your tort when I see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s293CaCEa10

Evan

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Oh my gosh I was laughing so hard watching that video. I called my boys in to watch it. They loved it. Glad to see the tortoise was O.K. after that. Dale does nothing like that. Candy

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Yeah Candy, I know what you mean ! When Tallula does it I freak out, I say "No!" to her but she does it again haha. She is fine every time tho :D

Status
Not open for further replies.