Heosemys Depressa

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Thank you for sharing this rare specimen. It is very rare. Can you tell is a male or female?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Thank you for sharing this rare specimen. It is very rare. Can you tell is a male or female?
It's a male, 9 years old. Didn't have the best husbandry conditions so it's not an exemplary representative is this species. Female should be arriving soon. This species along with heosemys Spinoza takes quite a while to reach sexual maturity, a lot like Manouria. I would not expect ova and or successful copulation for another 5-8 years. Will be a most excellent day though when that occurs. They're scoped to be released in situ(if&when) offspring occurs in the future.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
It's a male, 9 years old. Didn't have the best husbandry conditions so it's not an exemplary representative is this species. Female should be arriving soon. This species along with heosemys Spinoza takes quite a while to reach sexual maturity, a lot like Manouria. I would not expect ova and or successful copulation for another 5-8 years. Will be a most excellent day though when that occurs. They're scoped to be released in situ(if&when) offspring occurs in the future.
Thank you for get back to me.

At your estimate, how many species tortoise and turtles you have and total number of them are under your care at this time? including those 43 you received yesterday.

Is your place open for tour? It will be a quite a sight to visit.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Thank you for get back to me.

At your estimate, how many species tortoise and turtles you have and total number of them are under your care at this time? including those 43 you received yesterday.

Is your place open for tour? It will be a quite a sight to visit.
Uhhhhh. Haha I don't know to be honest. Been a while since I counted. So where near 4-500 specimens now and around 35-40 species. It's not techniquely open to public but I allow visits for sure. Quite a few forum members have visited here.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
One of those day. I will work my way to your sanctuary..........Of cause, with my wife.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Ah! So you admit you are rich!?

Just kidding, Kelly.. Everyone is rich to me :)
Shhhh. I am indeed rich. I have a wealth of great accomplishments, views, and an inspiring dedication to animals. Your a rich man yourself to me too. Especially all those fantastic videos you do.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Ah! So you admit you are rich!?

Just kidding, Kelly.. Everyone is rich to me :)
You know on a money level it is kinda weird how turtles vary in prices depressa are quite pricy. The most expensive chelonian I have ever been quoted was Kinixys domergueyi hatchling at 15000 euro. That topped the Batagur baska hatchling price. Adults of course of many species can fetch a high tag indeed, but when you get into 10-15000 for a hatchling, wow that's some expensive stuff. Incredibly rare in situ and ex situ of course though.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Aaaaahh!! Definitely a dream species of mine to work with some day! Please keep this thread updated. Especially when his new chickie pooh moves in.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
I'm surprised to hear of the domergueyi price. While they are rare, what is the market for them? Most people wouldn't know what they were... But, I suppose I am thinking like a dumb, shallow American :-/

meloha

5 Year Member
NW Oregon, USA
Really, the average person doesn't know what ANY of the species we work with are! I have educated a few friends and my sister (I think) but when I talk about a species they might be hearing "Blah blah EGG blah blah" and just smiling and nodding, LOL! Most people do know what a turtle is, but that's as much as I'd be confident about!

Kelly, your place sounds fascinating!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I'm surprised to hear of the domergueyi price. While they are rare, what is the market for them? Most people wouldn't know what they were... But, I suppose I am thinking like a dumb, shallow American :-/
Indeed. I have no idea on the market for them. I know a handful of people that are into Kinixys. So that would make the market pretty small. I'd imagine since the market isn't established in Europe for them either that the breeder just threw a number out, as the rarity from anything of Malagasy origin chelonian wise is incredibly demanding. But your right. Not many would even know what they are. Still a limbo full taxa species too. May never know if they originally diversified thousands of years ago or were introduced. So perhaps those bullet points are the line of market set prices.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Really, the average person doesn't know what ANY of the species we work with are! I have educated a few friends and my sister (I think) but when I talk about a species they might be hearing "Blah blah EGG blah blah" and just smiling and nodding, LOL! Most people do know what a turtle is, but that's as much as I'd be confident about!

Kelly, your place sounds fascinating!
This is very true. Why thank you. Put everything in my wallet, time and effort into it.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Indeed. I have no idea on the market for them. I know a handful of people that are into Kinixys. So that would make the market pretty small. I'd imagine since the market isn't established in Europe for them either that the breeder just threw a number out, as the rarity from anything of Malagasy origin chelonian wise is incredibly demanding. But your right. Not many would even know what they are. Still a limbo full taxa species too. May never know if they originally diversified thousands of years ago or were introduced. So perhaps those bullet points are the line of market set prices.
Tortoises are always more popular and pricy than aquatics, but in my mind, I always look at Kinixys and Pelusios in a similar light. Some are very rare, while some have been very common as imports. But not many Americans are really into either Genus, really. Too bad, since ether are both great Genera, and won't be available like this forever, you have to assume, for one reason or another.