Helpp Russain tortoise Shell rot?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
If you are still using that enclosure it looks a bit too small and you could add some plants for interest and give him somewhere to hide, see www.thetortoisetable.org.uk for torts safe plants for food and enclosures. Shop bought plants need to be re potted in chemical free soil and time allowed for any old fertilisers sprays that may have been on the plant used to grow out.
I think he could also do with a bigger plant saucer so that he can get right in and self soak.
The caresheet will help with diet, substrate, temps and humidity.
The Beginners Mistakes tread is great for avoiding the same mistakes of others (link below)
The Enclosures thread will give you great ideas on how to make your tort a happy and safe home.
A lot of reading - but well worth it to make sure you are doing your best to keep your tort healthy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I changed it to some dirt but kept it moist so its not dried out.the hut thing is just here for decoration he likes to climb on it. I also moved the 2 things around. I put the water dish more in the middle. I got him from a pet store and the lady knew everything about him. I got him fruit mix, romaine lettles stuff then some spring mix (made sure it was organic). and carrot things the lady gave me for a snack.. Also extra caluim supplement too. I just got strawberries from him today I only gave him one. I don't think he likes it. I want to get him more stuff. But I don't know what No im planning on it in the next week cause the vet we have to go to is 100 miles away. I don't know. I think 3 years I don't know how to tell I hoping to vet can tell me. And yes I am I wouldn't have spent over 250 dollars for nothing. I wanted a tortoise for over a year now. Im willing to help or do anything to make him healthy and keep it that way. He can grow old with me.

I'm sorry, but the pet store lady who "knew everything about him" actually knows nothing correct. You should not be feeding a russian tortoise fruit and romaine lettuce should be way far down on the list. The carrot snack things are also not good for tortoises.

Look at this list of edible weeds and see if you can find any in our area:
http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/gardening/advice/g2272/10-common-edible-weeds/?slide=1
http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/edible-weeds-zmaz76jaztak.aspx