Help with my hermann and ri

Hhollylouise

Location (City and/or State)
Hampshire
Hello i came on here the other day about noises my 8 month old hermann was making thankfully after two trips to the vets and two injections shes better as i was told i caught it early , until today yesterday i spilled some water while changing her water on her coco coir and it seemed to have shot up her humidity levels and i cant get them down and shes started to make squeaking noises again , i was told to add night heat ( i previously didnt have night heat so was 19 degrees at night and was advised to only take it just above 20 at night and drop her humidity lower to about 50-60 she got better really quickly but now im worried her humidity at the moment is 80% temps are 26.5 and 20 at night any advice would be amazing her last vets was friday so 2 days ago where she had her last injection and was told she had no signs of ri anymore but now i feel like its coming back

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Bump day temps all over to 85F basking 95-100F and keep night temps no lower than 70F. The higher humidity will only cause problems if the temps are too low. It's also not likely she had an RI that got cleared up that fast, likely just cold temps causing more like a cold symptoms.
Keep the temps up until all symptoms are gone and then for two weeks after. Then they can go back to 80F all over but I would keep night temps 65-70. Humidity for an adult can be 50-60%, or just use a humid hide.

Hhollylouise

Hampshire
Bump day temps all over to 85F basking 95-100F and keep night temps no lower than 70F. The higher humidity will only cause problems if the temps are too low. It's also not likely she had an RI that got cleared up that fast, likely just cold temps causing more like a cold symptoms.
Keep the temps up until all symptoms are gone and then for two weeks after. Then they can go back to 80F all over but I would keep night temps 65-70. Humidity for an adult can be 50-60%, or just use a humid hide.
Thank you i decided to just close up her table ( a bookcase i made into a huge enclosure ive only in the last 3 weeks mads this before she was in a table in a greenhouse ) ive had to make it a bit smaller she didnt use one end anyway as i think it was to cold but ive managed to bring temps up in a matter of 30 mins to 29 degress so i will continue and see how she gets on thank you again

Hhollylouise

Hampshire
So my little 8 month old hermann olive has recently had a ri got her last injection today shes had 3 so far , the last week or so shes been fine her normal self eating etc someone on here suggested i up her temps to 29 overall as it could just be a cold since ive done this and made her enclosure enclosed shes began burrowing herself during the day she still eating etc and will bask then will burrow herself until i wake her up for a soak then will go back to sleep any suggetions would be great as im really worried about her

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
The experts are gonna want photos of your enclosure, the temps in the enclosure, and pictures of olive...they need those to give the correct advice...

Hhollylouise

Hampshire
Humidy 65% , all over 28.9 exactly currently goes between 28-29.3 and basking spot is 36.4 i was told to up temps to this by welligton , night time is 22 , i dont have any pictures of enclosure as im at work she has a soak daily for 30 mins

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Try to get one end of the enclosure down to 75-78F so she has a range during the day of 75/78 cooler end, 80's warm area and then basking of 95-100
Also remember it's still a baby. They sleep a lot. Normal day would be like, wake up, eat, wonder around a bit maybe bask sleep. This may be a couple times a day with more sleeping than anything.
Be sure the enclosure is big enough to make the gradient of temps

Hhollylouise

Hampshire
So i noticed over two weeks ago my little 8 month old hermann was making quaking noises not very often a tiny bit took her to a reptile vet that said was very early stages of ri she then had antibitoic injection and one again 3 days later that weekend i posted on here as the noises where still there so i upped her temps to 29 i then took her back to the vet as she was still making quaking noises they said two more should do the job as its a full course ( 4 injections ) she had her last one 3 days ago but ive noticed she only now makes the quaking noise when having a soak and only does it a little bit ive been told to keep and eye and if on wednesday shes still making noises to take her back for some more , should i take her back for more ? This whole time (2 weeks ) shes had no other symptoms and has put on weight , my main question is am i still supposed to be hearing the quaking does she need more or should upping the temps clear it fully or is it just the soaks ive been keeping a good eye on her the last few days and have only heard quaking while shes been soaking or just after shes got out

Enclosure - substrate coco coir shes in a 6x4ft enclosure that is now enclosed she has night che on a thermastat that keeps temps at around 23-24 and during the day she has a basking spot of 36.5-37 and temps are 29 on the hot end cooler end is 24 ( it gradients all the way down and she never goes down here as i haven't fully finished her enclosure and theres nothing down there , also have a t5 12% UVB and humidity is 60-65 the vet said to keep it on the lower end

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So i noticed over two weeks ago my little 8 month old hermann was making quaking noises not very often a tiny bit took her to a reptile vet that said was very early stages of ri she then had antibitoic injection and one again 3 days later that weekend i posted on here as the noises where still there so i upped her temps to 29 i then took her back to the vet as she was still making quaking noises they said two more should do the job as its a full course ( 4 injections ) she had her last one 3 days ago but ive noticed she only now makes the quaking noise when having a soak and only does it a little bit ive been told to keep and eye and if on wednesday shes still making noises to take her back for some more , should i take her back for more ? This whole time (2 weeks ) shes had no other symptoms and has put on weight , my main question is am i still supposed to be hearing the quaking does she need more or should upping the temps clear it fully or is it just the soaks ive been keeping a good eye on her the last few days and have only heard quaking while shes been soaking or just after shes got out

Enclosure - substrate coco coir shes in a 6x4ft enclosure that is now enclosed she has night che on a thermastat that keeps temps at around 23-24 and during the day she has a basking spot of 36.5-37 and temps are 29 on the hot end cooler end is 24 ( it gradients all the way down and she never goes down here as i haven't fully finished her enclosure and theres nothing down there , also have a t5 12% UVB and humidity is 60-65 the vet said to keep it on the lower end
Your environmental parameters sound great. Question: Is the coco coir dry or damp? I ask because dry dusty substrate can irritate the eyes and respiratory passages and cause symptoms that resemble and RI, and in an open table, coir dries out very quickly.

Hhollylouise

Hampshire
Your environmental parameters sound great. Question: Is the coco coir dry or damp? I ask because dry dusty substrate can irritate the eyes and respiratory passages and cause symptoms that resemble and RI, and in an open table, coir dries out very quickly.
Its a bit dry as the vet told me to drop humidity i left it to dry out a a bit but i have been spraying and turning it over but she is in a enclosed table now as iv built a fort basically over her table , im not a fan of coco coir but i cant find anything else that seems suitable as she loves to burry

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its a bit dry as the vet told me to drop humidity i left it to dry out a a bit but i have been spraying and turning it over but she is in a enclosed table now as iv built a fort basically over her table , im not a fan of coco coir but i cant find anything else that seems suitable as she loves to burry
I like coir for little ones, but it is a chore to keep it damp. Your "fort" cover should help with this a lot. I don't agree with the vet that the tortoise should be kept dry. That dryness can be irritating to the mucous membranes, ad dryness is not natural for little babies that seek out humid places to hide in the wild when they are little. Dampness mixed with perpetual coolness is not good. Dampness with warmth is good, and actually helps their respiratory tract.

What is perplexing is WHY the tort got sick in the first place with such good conditions. Shooting the tort up with antibiotics may temporarily curtail some symptoms, but it doesn't address why/how the tort got sick in the first place. They don't get RIs for no reason. Was there a cold spell? Did a heat source fail without you knowing for a few days? Did the substrate get really dry for a bit while you were busy with work or life?

Hhollylouise

Hampshire
I like coir for little ones, but it is a chore to keep it damp. Your "fort" cover should help with this a lot. I don't agree with the vet that the tortoise should be kept dry. That dryness can be irritating to the mucous membranes, ad dryness is not natural for little babies that seek out humid places to hide in the wild when they are little. Dampness mixed with perpetual coolness is not good. Dampness with warmth is good, and actually helps their respiratory tract.

What is perplexing is WHY the tort got sick in the first place with such good conditions. Shooting the tort up with antibiotics may temporarily curtail some symptoms, but it doesn't address why/how the tort got sick in the first place. They don't get RIs for no reason. Was there a cold spell? Did a heat source fail without you knowing for a few days? Did the substrate get really dry for a bit while you were busy with work or life?
I think its based on two things so i used to have her in a tiny table in a greenhouse temps where 27 in the day basking at 35 and night was around 19-20 i never had a problem she was in it for the first two months i had her then i got a huge bookcase 6ftby4ft because she deserves space for this table i went one up on a heat bulb wattage but didnt realise i got a spot bulb so it wasn't warming up alot in enclosure and it wasn't enclosed so temps where bad and humidity was high at night her temps where no different then before and the only reason i didnt see her temps where bad was where i had put her thermometer it was at the back of the bulb so always showed high temps so i thought she was fine until i cleaned her out one day and moved it and noticed the temps where like 21 so i checked my bulb and noticed and i quickly sorted this but still then it only went up to around 24-25 with 80% humidity and her substrate was really damp then i noticed about a week later she was quaking alot mainly in the morning so i took her to the vets where i was told only two injections needed as i had caught it early and she had no other symptoms apart from quaking but she never stopped making these noises so i asked on here and i believe wellington said to up her temps to 29 and even my bf mentioned we never had a problem when she was enclosed so i then built her a fort over her table this made temps good for the day and then i got a che for night time but shes only had this maybe 5 days , she had two more injections as the vet wanted to be safe and just finish a course but shes shown no other symptoms other then quaking in the water when she has a soak which when i say she quakes its 3 times and then twice when she got out but she did shover her head under water but im wondering if i let her bathe get to cold this is why shes making the noises as if i let it cool of she makes it alot if i keep it waem she only does it after she gets out like 2 quaks as shes drying off and coco coir sticks to her whole body which i hate , but the plus side is shes still putting on weight shes put on around 7 grams in the last two weeks sorry if this was really long but i wanted you to get the whole picture

Hhollylouise

Hampshire

I think its based on two things so i used to have her in a tiny table in a greenhouse temps where 27 in the day basking at 35 and night was around 19-20 i never had a problem she was in it for the first two months i had her then i got a huge bookcase 6ftby4ft because she deserves space for this table i went one up on a heat bulb wattage but didnt realise i got a spot bulb so it wasn't warming up alot in enclosure and it wasn't enclosed so temps where bad and humidity was high at night her temps where no different then before and the only reason i didnt see her temps where bad was where i had put her thermometer it was at the back of the bulb so always showed high temps so i thought she was fine until i cleaned her out one day and moved it and noticed the temps where like 21 so i checked my bulb and noticed and i quickly sorted this but still then it only went up to around 24-25 with 80% humidity and her substrate was really damp then i noticed about a week later she was quaking alot mainly in the morning so i took her to the vets where i was told only two injections needed as i had caught it early and she had no other symptoms apart from quaking but she never stopped making these noises so i asked on here and i believe wellington said to up her temps to 29 and even my bf mentioned we never had a problem when she was enclosed so i then built her a fort over her table this made temps good for the day and then i got a che for night time but shes only had this maybe 5 days , she had two more injections as the vet wanted to be safe and just finish a course but shes shown no other symptoms other then quaking in the water when she has a soak which when i say she quakes its 3 times and then twice when she got out but she did shover her head under water but im wondering if i let her bathe get to cold this is why shes making the noises as if i let it cool of she makes it alot if i keep it waem she only does it after she gets out like 2 quaks as shes drying off and coco coir sticks to her whole body which i hate , but the plus side is shes still putting on weight shes put on around 7 grams in the last two weeks sorry if this was really long but i wanted you to get the whole picture

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is very difficult to read and understand. Please use capital letters where appropriate, and use punctuation.

It sounds like you know what caused the problem, and have solved it with the cover, and thermometer position. The warmer temps should solve your problem.

Hhollylouise

Hampshire
This is very difficult to read and understand. Please use capital letters where appropriate, and use punctuation.

It sounds like you know what caused the problem, and have solved it with the cover, and thermometer position. The warmer temps should solve your problem.
Hello , im really sorry about that i was in a break at work and wanted to reply then and was in a big rush , thank you i do have a question , so i find the coco coir just sticks to her face constantly especially after a soak so i dont think its helping as she gets irritated and quake's when its over her face even when ive dampened it down is there any other substrate i could try

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello , im really sorry about that i was in a break at work and wanted to reply then and was in a big rush , thank you i do have a question , so i find the coco coir just sticks to her face constantly especially after a soak so i dont think its helping as she gets irritated and quake's when its over her face even when ive dampened it down is there any other substrate i could try
Fine grade orchid bark works well. It is also sold as "Repti-Bark".

Your coir make work better if you keep it damp and firmly hand pack it down. It doesn't work well, very messy, when left loose and un-packed.