Help with beak

Texastort

10 Year Member!
Hi everyone. I have a large sully with a weird beak issue going on. I have been trying to trim this down but am not having luck. Should I be concerned about the way this is growing? He lives outside all year and is eating like normal. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434809064.950777.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It looks to me as a jaw issue rather than a beak issue. The lower jaw is undershot and the upper beak has no opposition. You'll just have to occasionally trim the excess growth off the upper beak. I'm not a vet, but in my opinion, the only way to correct it is with surgery to bring the lower jaw out where it belongs. Just something you'll both have to live with, I'm afraid.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Texas
Hi everyone. I have a large sully with a weird beak issue going on. I have been trying to trim this down but am not having luck. Should I be concerned about the way this is growing? He lives outside all year and is eating like normal. View attachment 135278

Oh my goodness. Look at that precious mug!!!

Texastort

10 Year Member!
Thanks. He's amazing. Ok so I tried to trim his beak with a Dremel this afternoon and it was pretty traumatic, I think for more me and the kids that him (little kid was crying the whole time). I had zero luck. I maybe filed it down a tiny bit, but once he figured out what I was doing he wanted to part in it.

Are there any tips to stabilizing a large sulcata? I was sitting on top of him and he was lifting me along, I weigh 250 lbs. amazing animals.