HELP!!! (tortoise ate an orchid)

Jesika

Location (City and/or State)
Cumming, Georgia
My hatchling Sulcata just ate a part of an orchid flower that fell in his enclosure through the hole where his lights are. I just noticed it when I went to put him to bed. He took a few bites of it and then left it alone. I didn't think any flowers would drop in the holes but I should've known better and moved it. Is it deadly? I know that there are edible orchids but this one was just a house plant my fiance bought me for V-day. I'm very very worried about him and I don't know what to do!

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
I assume the post is about an actual orchid and not Impatiens glandulifera (which just has 'orchid' in its common name). Pretty much all orchids are safe for consumption. Humans can eat them too. Phalaenopsis and Dendrobian (common ornamental) orchid blooms are treats for my tortoise. The only concern with tortoises eating orchids not grown specifically for food is if they've been treated with pesticides. Without knowing when the plant was last treated could be a worry since you haven't had it that long, but I would not be concerned about part of one flower being consumed. I have had a tortoise accidentally eat a Phal down to the roots that I thought was mounted high out of reach that had only recently come from the store and no harm came. I would never encourage feeding fresh from the shop ornamentals, but I wouldn't be worried about one flower.

Last edited: