Help! Redfoot is Limp

BigRedFoots

5 Year Member
Hi,

My girlfriend found one of my redfoot tortoises flipped over in his water dish earlier today. She flipped him over and tried to give him some strawberry (which he normally loves) but he wouldn't move much or eat any. I'm not sure exactly how long he was on his back.

I checked on him a right away when I got home from work and he was sprawled out with his head all the way out and resting on the ground.

His eyes are open and I've seen him move all of his limbs but he seems like he is too weak to himself anywhere.

Is my little guy in serious trouble? Is it possible that he is exhausted from trying to flip over? Any input is appreciated!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
I hope an expert chimes in for you. I would make sure to keep him warm!

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
I think they usually say to do a warm soak right away and keep warm until he starts moving around, but I can't remember!

Last edited by a moderator:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would suspect that the little guy is exhausted from trying to flip himself back over, no real danger I imagine, just keep an eye on him, should be back to normal in a day or two.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Might be a little late for this but hold him face down and let water drain from his mouth. You can pump his legs in and out while you do this. Another thing I've had some success with is extending all legs and his head out of shell and pumping his front legs in and out.

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
Might be a little late for this but hold him face down and let water drain from his mouth. You can pump his legs in and out while you do this. Another thing I've had some success with is extending all legs and his head out of shell and pumping his front legs in and out.
Kinda sounds like it gets the blood flowing again?

Anyway, I really hope he comes out of it quickly.... Poor little guy....

BigRedFoots

5 Year Member
Thanks for the help everyone. I'm working on all your suggestions right now! Hopefully he pulls through and is back to normal in no time!

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I'm not remembering other threads at this moment..dementia I think, but I would make his enclosure warmer and be on the lookout for a respiratory problem. I think they can get fluid into their lungs in that position. I hope he gets better. My red foot flipped but he "came around' in a short amount of time. If he doesn't improve quickly, see a vet.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Was he simply on his back in the water dish? Was his head/nostrils submerged in the water or hanging over the edge, patiently waiting for a flip back? If his head was not submerged then I would let him rest...quiet, calm and warm....

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Kinda sounds like it gets the blood flowing again?

Anyway, I really hope he comes out of it quickly.... Poor little guy....

It is meant to get liquid out of the lungs. But it might double as helping circulation.

BigRedFoots

5 Year Member
Hey everyone, thanks for your input. I soaked him a few times last night and kept him in a warm place in the enclosure to let him rest but when I got up to check on him this morning I found that, sadly, he didn't make it.

I'm not sure if he had any liquid in his lungs, apparently he wasn't directly in the water or under the heating lamp when he flipped so I'm not sure exactly what went wrong. He may have stressed, dehydrated or in shock, or he could have been ill prior but I didn't notice any changes in his eating or sleeping habits and he seemed to be pretty active over the past few days.

Thanks for the support and advice, though. I really appreciate it.

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
Oh no.... I'm sorry he didn't make it... :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Darn it! I'm so sorry he didn't make it. This is something that happens frequently to baby tortoises (flipping on their back while trying to climb out of the waterer).

M

Maggie Cummings

Oh that's hard to take. Sorry that happened to him and you...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
That terrible news, my deepest sympathies, a sad fact of life sometimes.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I'm so sorry your baby diden't make it. God know's you tried everything.
Take care!