Help please !

Harri

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Bellingham,Northumberland. U.K.
I took on an unwanted Horsfield in March. Harri will be 1 year old next month. He lives in our sitting room in his vivarium, with a strip light, floor heat mat and uv light. He has never been very lively, going to bed in his log at 3pm and doesn't get up until about 8am but haven't been too concerned as he eats quite a lot and has gained weight steadily 3/5 grams a week. But this last week or so has been going to bed as early as 12 noon and not getting back up until about 9.30 am. Not sure how much tortoises sleep but he has always slept a lot. The vivarium is set out the same as the previous owners had it. The basking light can't point down, attached to the roof but pointing mostly across the roof but still casting light on the floor. The temperature is around 28/30 degrees C once the tank warms up, and doesn't seem to get below 20 degrees C through the night. I give him a soak 3 times a week. He loves eating egg shell which he has half a teaspoon every other day. Watching him now, his light has been on since 7am its 25 degrees C at ground level, he's been to bed for nearly 20 hours and now he's got up (10am) to go back to sleep! and he has had nothing to eat yet. I presume he is just warming through and will eat soon, but something is not right. Harri is a friendly dude who loves cuddles and strokes when he can be bothered but will also go to sleep on you given the chance, I realise they are laid back but this is ridiculous. He is quite a fussy eater and since the dandelion buds finished he doesn't really love anything as much. He will not eat grass, clover, vetches and numerous other garden food but has started eating thistle buds, he will eat lettuce (not iceberg) pak choi, mustard cress, courgette, carrot and loves Komodo dandelion dry pellets but he isn't allowed many of these as I gather they are not good for him. He goes in the garden in the nice weather while I watch, but has never eaten anything (except bird poo) and I don't think he really likes it, but surprise surprise he will go to sleep. I would really appreciate any help if anyone can see whats going wrong. He will be one next month, weighs 125 grams and looks healthy (I think). Thanks

Teacup

Georgia
Could you describe what kind of UV light you are using and how old it is?

Harri

10 Year Member!
Could you describe what kind of UV light you are using and how old it is?
It would have been bought in January this year, its in a ceramic holder but its too hot to move at the minute for any further information, the pet store sold the previous owner everything.

Harri

10 Year Member!
Horsfields are normal pretty active....how often do you soak him & do you take him outside for natural sunshine? What type of basking light?
Here is a care sheet:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Post a pic of his set up if you can.
I try to soak him every other day for about 15 mins, I am pretty sure he didn't use to have that done. I take him outside normally most days even if its just for ten minutes while I hang the washing out. Its not very warm where we live and he hasn't got an enclosure outside yet. He just normally looks for somewhere to go to sleep/hide. Im not sure if an indoor tortoise table is the answer. I can check the basking light later when it cools, but its in a ceramic holder.

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
If the heating bulb is the one that points across the top of the enclosure, I would cool it down and point it toward the floor. I mean take the whole fixture off and reset it on the top pointing down. Heat rises and it could be not warm enough for the little tort. He sure is good looking.

Teacup

Georgia
It would have been bought in January this year, its in a ceramic holder but its too hot to move at the minute for any further information, the pet store sold the previous owner everything.

Hmm, okay. It's a strip light UV, which is good, but it will need changing soon (they usually need replacing every 6 months). :)

I agree with the suggestion to reorient the heat bulb. Maybe he is just not getting warm enough?

Harri

10 Year Member!
If the heating bulb is the one that points across the top of the enclosure, I would cool it down and point it toward the floor. I mean take the whole fixture off and reset it on the top pointing down. Heat rises and it could be not warm enough for the little tort. He sure is good looking.
Thanks for replying ! We thought maybe it was too hot (all around) at 82-84 F day time and 70-73 F night time and that temperature might be ok if it was just under the light and cooler everywhere else ? I have put the thermometer down to ground level away from the light and its only a few degrees cooler. I will get a new fitting and try pointing the bulb down. Thanks

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Please get rid of that water dish. I have read too many sad stories of torts flipping in those. A terra cotta plant saucer dish is the best thing to use. Also what type of subtrate is that that you are using? babys do like to stay hidden so taping paper on the bottom so he can not see out might help too.