Help please for 3 toed box turtles - edible landscape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennifer Jones

5 Year Member
Hi, I am a long time viewer, and first time poster. I have 2 Russians and several 3-toed box turtles. I have had tiny babies for two years, and just received two pairs of adults (15 years old) who have been housed together since they were babies. They have a 8 foot by 12 foot outside enclosure with both dirt and cement and sand. I want to plant some edible outdoor landscaping. Would love some ideas. Thanks so much!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Welcome! Are you looking for plants for both the turtles and tortoises? If they are housed together I strongly recommend to separate the species.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ditto on the separating if they are together. Also, check out the tortoisetable.org for edible stuff.

Jennifer Jones

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
Welcome! Are you looking for plants for both the turtles and tortoises? If they are housed together I strongly recommend to separate the species.

Hello, and thank you for your reply. Nope, the Russians have their own large enclosure. They are a pair also that I have had for 8 years. They have had one baby, but I'm actually not sure if they like each other LOL. I have their area all landscaped, but since I am new to adult box turtles, I want to be sure they have plants they can munch on during the day if they want.

Jennifer Jones

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Ditto on the separating if they are together. Also, check out the tortoisetable.org for edible stuff.

They are already separated. I have a copy of the edible lanscaping for tortoises, but want to be sure it is good for box turtles as well.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Good good. Tortoisetable.org is a great place to find out what not to plant. I would go with native grasses and plants to the species of box turtles you have. Hostas are ok, pansies, aloe vera, cactus, etc..

Jennifer Jones

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
Good good. Tortoisetable.org is a great place to find out what not to plant. I would go with native grasses and plants to the species of box turtles you have. Hostas are ok, pansies, aloe vera, cactus, etc..

Yay! Perfect! I was going to get a Hostas this weekend, and already have aloe and other succculant cactuses. Thanks so much! Have a great day!

Status
Not open for further replies.