help! (new to tortoise ownership)

Catherine Vickery

Hi, today I gained a tortoise in what I assume to be a vivarium. I have a strip light, a heater light, a water bowl, a food bowl, a thermometer and I was given a bag of tortoise sand. I have a few questions.... what temp does it need to be at? Do I leave the heat light on overnight? Are the heat lamps safe to leave on when I am at work all day? Is it warm enough to let him have a roam around the garden yet? He is only about the size of my palm and I was told he is 5 years old. Thanks!!

1433448380297.jpg 1433448546933.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
Hi Catherine
That is indeed a vivarium

The shaded area of the viv should be 75-85 and it should be about 95-100 under the light

You should have the light on 12 hours each day and off at night. I guess there are always risks with electricity but I guess it's more dangerous for the tort if you don't have it on.

It depends on what the weather is like where you live. For me if its a nice warm sunny day the tort is out :)

You should check out the care sheets on this forum. They will help you loads!

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Hi, today I gained a tortoise in what I assume to be a vivarium. I have a strip light, a heater light, a water bowl, a food bowl, a thermometer and I was given a bag of tortoise sand. I have a few questions.... what temp does it need to be at? Do I leave the heat light on over night? Are the heat lamps safe to leave on when I am at work all day? Is it warm enough to let him have a roam around the garden yet? He is only about the size of my palm and I was told he is 5 years old. Thanks!!
He looks like a Russian :) I heard that dry substrate isn't too good for them. As for the heat, I'm sorry I don't know as I have a different species maybe someone else with more knowledge can help. :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Catherine, and welcome to the Forum!

We have a good care sheet for the Horsefield's tortoise (Russian tortoise) pinned at the top of our Russian section. Be sure to read it as it will probably answer most of your questions.

Russian tortoises are a little more cold hardy than other species, so if the sun is shining, it's probably ok to put him outside - BUT -be aware that Russian tortoises are very good at escaping. He needs to be in a safe and secure area where he can't climb out or dig under.

Catherine Vickery

Hi Catherine, and welcome to the Forum!

We have a good care sheet for the Horsefield's tortoise (Russian tortoise) pinned at the top of our Russian section. Be sure to read it as it will probably answer most of your questions.

Russian tortoises are a little more cold hardy than other species, so if the sun is shining, it's probably ok to put him outside - BUT -be aware that Russian tortoises are very good at escaping. He needs to be in a safe and secure area where he can't climb out or dig under.
Thank you!