help - new Sulcata owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashleyz19

5 Year Member
Hi All...
I'm sure some if not all of my questions have been answered on here before, but I'm new and need some help. I am the new owner of 3 sulcata tortoises, as their previous owner could not care for them anymore. One of them is a female who is about 7ish years old. The other 2 are little ones they have purchased as babies about a year ago. The big one has her own enclosure and the 2 little ones are together. Here are my questions (so far).
1. Substrate: They told me they were using a mixture of coconut fiber and cypress. I have read one here that the tortoises need to be kept humid, however when I got the tortoises they and everything in their enclosures were covered in dust from the substrate. Where they using the wrong stuff? What do I need to do differently?
2. I live in NJ, so in the winter they will have to be inside all the time, but when the temp is over 70, I have a enclosure they can go in outside. I put them part in the sun and part in the shade. Do they need to have a humid hut in their outside enclosure as well, or just in their inside one? They go inside every night and all winter (like i said earlier). Also if it is good for them to be wet/humid in the summer when it is raining (not thunder and lightning, just rain) and still warm out can i leave them outside or should i bring them in?

Sorry this is so lengthy, I just want to make sure I do everything right.
Thanks so much for your help,
Ashley

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Ashley, and welcome to the Forum!

What a coincidence...my grand daughter, Ashley, is also in New Jersey.

Coco coir and cypress mulch is an ok substrate, however, you must keep it moist. I pour a pitcherful of water over the habitat every morning and mix it up with my hand.

Just bear in mind that cold/wet equals a sick tortoise, while warm/wet is quite ok. So if your weather turns cold the young ones should be brought inside.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

1. You've got the right substrate. It just needs to be moistened, like Yvonne said. You also need to keep the whole enclosure no lower than 80 all the time, day and night, with a basking spot of around 100 for 12 hours a day. This can be accomplished with the use of a flood bulb set on a timer with the height adjusted to get the right basking temp, and a ceramic heating element set on a thermostat to maintain the warm ambient day and night.

2. If they are going to be outside all day every day in the warmer months, a humid hide is not a bad idea. Just make sure it doesn't over heat n the sun. You can also plant a nice assortment of plants in there for them to use as hiding places and something to munch on. There are whole lists of the right king of plants. Grape vines, geraniums, hibiscus, rose of Sharon, various succulents, and you can buy weed seed mixes or pasture seed mixes for them to graze on too. The more lush the better.

There is all sort of sulcata info contained in the links in my signature below. Click away and come on back with lots of questions.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome. I lived in Ramsey, New Jersey years ago. Do you live in an area that has a big backyard? Because, as you know, sulcatas get huge...about 150-200 lbs when fully grown. Also, as Tom indicated, read all his threads including in the one below my name. Tom wrote this as a warning to all owners of tortoises. Please read it if you have a dog, plan on getting a dog, or allow dogs to visit your home. Also, keeping sulcatas safe from predators is a must.

ashleyz19

5 Year Member
I live in Sussex County NJ, so we have a big yard. We don't let the tortoises outside unless we are home to keep checking on them. You know those kiddie coral things they make for kids to use outside? It is a round enclosure and about 2-3 feet high with no bottom, well that is what we have the tortoise in so that we can mover her to a different spot on the yard everyday for new grass to graze on.

Thanks for the advice.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Oh, yea, Sussex County. Glad to hear that you take all precautions with your tort because there are dogs, raccoons, foxes, and other predators that would love to tear your tort apart. If there's anything you'd like to know about enclosures, food, care, please ask anyone here.
ashleyz19 said:
I live in Sussex County NJ, so we have a big yard. We don't let the tortoises outside unless we are home to keep checking on them. You know those kiddie coral things they make for kids to use outside? It is a round enclosure and about 2-3 feet high with no bottom, well that is what we have the tortoise in so that we can mover her to a different spot on the yard everyday for new grass to graze on.

Thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.