Help my tortoise acting abnormal

jehan mehta

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
INDIA (MUMBAI)
Hello everyone

My star tortoise mking abnrmal moves.. its running like crazy.. n itz moving its legs ahead n forward which has made its leg rashed n redish in color.. i applied skin scream n dat part of d torn leg became normal after 3 days of contnzly applyng d cream    .... n after 2 days again its red n its running really fast banging its shell on ground.   Currntly applied coconut oil.. n it has finall stoped running... but after d coconut oil dryz it wil again start running... n at nyt i can hear it breathing  out loadly... i really dunno wats wrong  .. please help.. it passed white urine too... n i found lil blood also near itz sleepng area(where it sleeps daily)

I hav already lost my elder tortoise 2yrs back.. as no vet here in india fr tortoise...

Please help me...

Its 3yrs old now... 6 inch in size.. i can hear it exhalng heavily(hissss hisssss sounds)

Jehan

Attachments

• 1382986589463.jpg
    1382986589463.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 1382986613827.jpg
    1382986613827.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 1382986710265.jpg
    1382986710265.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 83

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Please give us as much details about the setup you have him in. Temps, humidity, substrate, what you are using for lights and heat, diet, how many times you soak him. Everything you can think of.

jehan mehta

5 Year Member
INDIA (MUMBAI)
It stays in lil area with uv bulb attached n lil sand around .. i giv her sunlight for 1hr alternate days too .. diet is pretty simply as i stay in india..cucumber,hibiscus, pumpkin , spinach, lady fingure, peas, coriander & during seasons i giv her watermelon too ;)

Soaking is 1 tym in a day for 45-55mins approx.. :)

Rest everything was normal a week back... :( it use to sleeps well, cum out for food n water at tyms too... but now it keeps running... n it keeps taking her leg in and out in all angles as if sumthing is irritating or iching her.. first i thought it must be an ant.. n i actually found one near her area. But dunno if she got bitten by it..

Both Legs skin are torn n it makes hissing sounds while it goes inside d shell.. before hissing sound was not at all noticed in her..

I hope u can help me..

Attached is my dodo pic wen things were normal n wen she use to play with me.. :( :(

Attachments

• 1383009524786.jpg
    1383009524786.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 1383009546150.jpg
    1383009546150.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 55

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First off get rid of the sand. It causes impaction. Second, do not feed spinach, it's not good for them, read this http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/plants_19.asp?catID=608. The hissing, is the air being expelled as she pulls her head in, that's pretty normal. Seeing how she is acting like she either got bit or something is irritating her skin, I would give her a good warm soak and change up the substrate. Also, how small of an enclosure? If it's too small and she can't get out from the high heat of the basking spot, she could be getting like a burn. Be sure she has a large enclosure, with a water dish, food dish, hide and a place to get out from under the high temps of the basking spot.