HELP! I found a tortoise!

Location (City and/or State)
England
I have just found this tortoise in my friend's garden. She said it had been there for around a week! I immediately took it to the vet but she isn't microchipped. I haven't the faintest idea on how to look after a tortoise nor do I have the correct equipment. Can someone please help me out with how to look after her?

England
OK so she is a Russian tortoise. I have found a plastic box to put her in. What soil do I use? Just soil from the garden? I have also posted on the local Facebook groups and asked people in the area if they know anyone missing one and so far nothing has come back. I don't want her to die so any help at all would be appreciated!!

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello and welcome!
1. There is a terrific long-read post on this forum: from Tom, one of the respected members There is all the necessary introductory information there. That's another useful long-read focused on temperate species, like russian tortoises. (link) It's overwhelming amount, read it little by a little.
2. Yes, it's a good idea to try to find owners first. Russian turtles are very good at escaping and do that all the time.
3. To get started, you definitely need some space for it - large plastic box (like christmas tree containers, cement mixing tub), old bookcase laid on it's bottom and such.
4. Using soil as substrate is not a good thing (unless you are 100% sure it's free of pecticides and fertilizers), but for couple of days it could be just a newspaper .
5. You will need good lightning and heating - Russian tortoises brumate in winter and that's not what you probably want right now. For a quick start it could be simple LED light (cold day light temperature, 6500K or about that) and incandescent bulb if you put tortoise box in your living space (where should not be too cold at night). UVB light could be added later on.
6. If you have some greens at home (lettuces, kale, endive and so), then you have some food. Probably she will refuse to eat (because of sudden changes and she might be getting ready to brumate) for some days.
7. To give a little "boost" to her health and condition - you might give her a bath. Pour lukewarm (comfortably warm) water in the plastic tub, container or large enough bowl - few centimeters or less. Water level should be a bit higher than tortoise "belly" (aka plastron). Than put tortoise in for 10-15 minutes (please, keep your eye, so water don't get too cold). After bath use paper towel to dry her up a little and put her back in the enclosure. If she drinks, pees or poops (in any order) - it's okay, they do it all the time.
When she's in a warm place, after "soaking", you can get yourself some tea and read the posts I mentioned in the beginning. Please keep us informed, and ask questions. Photos of tortoise are always welcome as well :)

If you decide to keep her - it would be really long-term commitment. Please, consider it carefully.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We'll need to see a picture of the tortoise to make sure we're talking about the same species.

England
Hello and welcome!
1. There is a terrific long-read post on this forum: from Tom, one of the respected members There is all the necessary introductory information there. That's another useful long-read focused on temperate species, like russian tortoises. (link) It's overwhelming amount, read it little by a little.
2. Yes, it's a good idea to try to find owners first. Russian turtles are very good at escaping and do that all the time.
3. To get started, you definitely need some space for it - large plastic box (like christmas tree containers, cement mixing tub), old bookcase laid on it's bottom and such.
4. Using soil as substrate is not a good thing (unless you are 100% sure it's free of pecticides and fertilizers), but for couple of days it could be just a newspaper .
5. You will need good lightning and heating - Russian tortoises brumate in winter and that's not what you probably want right now. For a quick start it could be simple LED light (cold day light temperature, 6500K or about that) and incandescent bulb if you put tortoise box in your living space (where should not be too cold at night). UVB light could be added later on.
6. If you have some greens at home (lettuces, kale, endive and so), then you have some food. Probably she will refuse to eat (because of sudden changes and she might be getting ready to brumate) for some days.
7. To give a little "boost" to her health and condition - you might give her a bath. Pour lukewarm (comfortably warm) water in the plastic tub, container or large enough bowl - few centimeters or less. Water level should be a bit higher than tortoise "belly" (aka plastron). Than put tortoise in for 10-15 minutes (please, keep your eye, so water don't get too cold). After bath use paper towel to dry her up a little and put her back in the enclosure. If she drinks, pees or poops (in any order) - it's okay, they do it all the time.
When she's in a warm place, after "soaking", you can get yourself some tea and read the posts I mentioned in the beginning. Please keep us informed, and ask questions. Photos of tortoise are always welcome as well :)

If you decide to keep her - it would be really long-term commitment. Please, consider it carefully.
Thank you so much for this! She's had a bath as the vet said she had mud stuck in her shell. Some of it has come out although we can't get all of it out. We've put her on newspaper and she is so feisty and just wants to keep moving so doesn't like being in a box but its only temporary.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yup, that's a russian. Keep doing long soaks. Scrabbling around in the water, trying to get out, will help dislodge any remaining mud.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thank you so much for this! She's had a bath as the vet said she had mud stuck in her shell. Some of it has come out although we can't get all of it out. We've put her on newspaper and she is so feisty and just wants to keep moving so doesn't like being in a box but its only temporary.
She could be stressed by being caught, changes in the environment and such. So she tries to do anything to escape. I think when left alone in the box with the lights out she will calm down (don't forget to put the lid!). So you'll have time to think what you have to make her a better temporary enclosure, what to use as lightning and heating and how not to waste a lots of money (don't rush to a pet shop).

As cheap substrate option you can get coconut coir from a garden or hardware store. It's very messy, but still better than a newspaper. Fine grade orchid bark without colorants and fertilizers and without strong pine smell is the best option and should be cheap as well.

You will need some food to give her, maybe there are clover and dandelions around. I would not copy-paste Tom's posts, his care sheet on temperate species has all the details.

Please, come back, ask questions and keep us informed.