Help: first time using CHE

Geng

5 Year Member
Hi guys,

So I wanna bump up the temp at night, so I bought my first CHE today. Brand is Reptech and watt is 40.

I'm quite unknown with CHE's, so I'm gonna ask some nooby questions. Does a CHE work the same as a basking bulb/MVB? Do I just screw it into the socket, and switch it on? Can they also be used with an reflector? I use this reflector http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/1909.html

I wanna make sure that my house won't burn down.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Yes. You just screw it in and plug the cord into the wall.

That fixture looks fine, but check the wattage rating on it. Its probably 150. CHEs make around 20% more heat than the same wattage incandescent bulb, so you always want a fixture rated for more wattage than your CHE.

I don't know what species you've got, or how much of a temperature increase you want, but a 40 might not be enough. Only your thermometer can tell you.

Also be aware that all electric heat dries things out, so you might need to add more moisture than what you normally do with this new heat source.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
My tort has a room to himself as he is quite a big leopard. He has a radiator on 24/7 and I also use a 100W CHE in a ceramic bulb holder with a wide reflector dome. It is run through a thermostat which you set to the required temp and it switches the CHE on and off to stop it getting too hot or cold so nice even temps.

Geng

5 Year Member
Yes. You just screw it in and plug the cord into the wall.

That fixture looks fine, but check the wattage rating on it. Its probably 150. CHEs make around 20% more heat than the same wattage incandescent bulb, so you always want a fixture rated for more wattage than your CHE.

I don't know what species you've got, or how much of a temperature increase you want, but a 40 might not be enough. Only your thermometer can tell you.

Also be aware that all electric heat dries things out, so you might need to add more moisture than what you normally do with this new heat source.

Thanks for the help!

Night temp is a bit under 70F, and I wanna bump it up to 80F or something. It's a russian tortoise and she's 1,5 year old.
Perhaps not the right mindset, but the reason I bought a 40W is because my 50W basking lamp can create a 100F basking spot. So I though I can do the same with a 40W CHE to bump up her sleeping spot to 80 - 90F. Would you recommen something better?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would recommend you not use the night heat for your russian tortoise. They need a cooler period at night and high 60's to low 70's is ideal for a young one.

Only tropical species, like sulcatas or RFs need to be kept that warm at night.

Geng

5 Year Member
I would recommend you not use the night heat for your russian tortoise. They need a cooler period at night and high 60's to low 70's is ideal for a young one.

Only tropical species, like sulcatas or RFs need to be kept that warm at night.

Well, my reason to bump up the temp at night is because my russian has a runny nose (clear, not much, only left nostril).

I panicked for a RI, but I'm not really sure if it is RI, because she still reacts to food (becomes really alert when she sees sow thistles and dandelion flowers). Someone also told me if she would have RI discharge would come from both nostrils. Her day temps would be 100F basking spot, 90F-80F warm spot and 70F cool. Her temps at night never went lower than 65F, so a RI to happen seems quite unlogical.

And I must admit, I haven't moist her substrate in a long time. The upper layer is really dry, like sand. I haven't moist it because a too moist substrate would only make a RI happen for sure. Also, do you think that her runny nose may be caused by the really dry substrate, which irritates her nose?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well, my reason to bump up the temp at night is because my russian has a runny nose (clear, not much, only left nostril).

I panicked for a RI, but I'm not really sure if it is RI, because she still reacts to food (becomes really alert when she sees sow thistles and dandelion flowers). Someone also told me if she would have RI discharge would come from both nostrils. Her day temps would be 100F basking spot, 90F-80F warm spot and 70F cool. Her temps at night never went lower than 65F, so a RI to happen seems quite unlogical.

And I must admit, I haven't moist her substrate in a long time. The upper layer is really dry, like sand. I haven't moist it because a too moist substrate would only make a RI happen for sure. Also, do you think that her runny nose may be caused by the really dry substrate, which irritates her nose?

Yes dry substrate can be an irritant, and usually an RI will have discharge from both nostrils. 65 and damp substrate will not cause an RI in Russians as long as they can get warm during the day like yours does.

Try the night heat for a while and see if it helps.

If you are using sand in your substrate, that could be part or all of the issue too. Sand should not be used.

I think you need a vet visit to confirm the nostrils are clear of obstruction and any irritants like sand grains.