Help! Do I need to dig her up?

txturtle13

5 Year Member
I brought my boxie out of her hibernation in the garage because it got up to 80* here for a week. She buried herself in her outdoor enclosure and it's pouring rain and dropped down to 42* already. Should I dig her up?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
I don't know the answer for what should be done about the turtle, but I know I dug my outside torts that had come out of hibernation back up and they are inside now. Better safe than sorry in my opinion. I am sick with worry over the one I can not find.

txturtle13

5 Year Member
On my way home now. I think I'll try and dig her up. I hope she's in her usual spot...

This tx weather has been nuts!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Yes it has! Mine have come up and gone down twice. I finally decided Sunday night not to chance it anymore. I wish I had done so before one went missing. I'm sure he is ok but I still worry.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I hope your box turtle is ok . But Texas is where it is from so it should be fine . As long as it's enclosure is dry . Does it have a high and dry spot?

txturtle13

5 Year Member
She's fine! She was dry (despite the enormous amount of rain) under her log! Back to her 50 gallon Rubbermaid in the garage :)

Pheww!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
See I told you she would be fine . L.o.L. I'm glad evrrything turned out ok .

txturtle13

5 Year Member
I'm glad she's find too. Most of my backyard was flooded yesterday. We got an insane amount of rain. Her enclosure is on the highest end of our property, thank goodness. But it was still very wet. Glad to know her log works so well!

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
It's funny she went under a log. I read somewhere in my Internet travels that someone with Russians torts always hibernated under a log. So this was interesting to me.

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Dallas, Texas
I too pulled my Texas turtles out of the enclosure and back into the boxes because it dipped into the twenties. I'm going to put them back outside today, though. The 10 day forecast has two more days below freezing, but with periods of almost eighty in between. I'm ready for consistency.