Help - any ideas how to rust-proof

Location (City and/or State)
Wedgefield, FL
Hi. So i bought two of these to be raised garden beds. They are actually steel containers split in half and legs soldered on to the bottom. I thought they were really cool and i would put rocks in them and then soil, and then two things of st Augustine grass/sod, and then plant seeds from that tortoise supply place to grow wildflowers/weeds. Once it started to grow i thought I’d let Sheldon wander around in there in the day to eat.

So when i went to get them the guy who made them sprayed something on his rag and wiped them out. On the car ride back it smelled pretty chemical-ish. It’s been a couple of weeks and they have been sitting in my driveway and now i notice they are rusting, so now I have to rust proof them before using them to plant anything. Of course it’s now occurred to me that whatever i use must be non-toxic so the soils, grass, and ultimately the weeds & flowers don’t end up contaminated.

Im just looking for ideas for how to rust proof these things so i don’t make us sick. Any ideas?

Attachments

• CC59FE25-8FA0-466C-8C3F-0E2B296C3A17.jpeg
    CC59FE25-8FA0-466C-8C3F-0E2B296C3A17.jpeg
    206.9 KB · Views: 5