hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Love Dino

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
colorado
hi! im 12yrs old and i have a very cute russian tort named Dino.please help me answer all my questions about Dino! My tortoise,Dino won't chew the cuttle bone is that a problom? He loves dandylions,so i thought he might like some other flowers too. i heard they can eat rose,if so can they eat all type of roses? im growing tomatos,and cilantro for my familyand i was wondering if he can eat the cilantro. i've got lots of dandylions in my back yard and i dont know how much to give him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, I Love Dino!

Some tortoises never chew on a cuttlebone. In those cases, an occasional sprinkling of caclium powder over their food is called for. Just a pinch two or three times a week.

I wouldn't give the dandelions at every feeding, but 3 or 4 times a week would probably be ok. What else does he eat?

Cilantro isn't a good food item to give all the time either. Once in a while is ok.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

When feeding dandelion, feed him the whole plant. Leaves and stems too. That's the good part. I grow all sorts of things and a little bit of cilantro is one of them. I mix in a small amount of cilantro with a big pile of other stuff once or twice a week. No tomatoes though.

Roses and rose leaves are fine as long as you are absolutely sure that no chemicals have been used on them.

Try to learn the names of other weeds you have around that don't have any chemicals on them. A wide variety of broadleaf weeds is the absolute best food for Dino. Other good foods would be leaves from a grapevine (not the grapes though), leaves from a mulberry tree, or leaves from a hibiscus bush.

I Love Dino

5 Year Member
colorado
Thak you for your help! Dino eats spring mix most of the time,and i feed him romane lettese,and green,red leaf lettse if i dont have spring mix.:D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Just to give you a little heads up so if it happens your not upset, but sometimes when fed dandelions the liquid waste can turn a pinkish color.

tortoise_man1

5 Year Member
Michigan
Hello, welcome to the forum. you should not feed your tortoise flowers too often because tortoises can get adicted to them. flowers are a good treat to feed your tortoise once in a while

Status
Not open for further replies.