Hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlecarter

5 Year Member
Hey there

I have owned a beautiful little Hermans tortoise named Carter now since New Year's Eve 2010 so Im coming up to my first hibernation period! I bought her from a breeder after researching as much as possible. I have a lovely indoor tortoise table for her, and we have had an outdoor enclosure made especially for her. I grow all her food for her - my house is full of seeds trays in various states of growth!

Im sure it's not new for a first timer to be worried about hibernation, but I really am. She means so much to me and I am worried about damaging her. I have read everything I can find out about these little creatures over the last year, but one thing I keep coming hard up against is the comment 'if you tortoise is underweight do not hibernate.'. Well, what is underweight? i have found many a place refering to Jackson's chart, and othe rsites discussing lengths and weights. But Carter is only about 6cm across her plastron and weighs 60grams. She had gained between 2 and 4 grams a month since i bought her and seems to attack her weed plants at every given opportunity. she is healthy and alert and seems to enjoy wading through her food trays which I leave in with her to help herself.

How do I know if this is an ok weight for her? She is 18 months old now and I have been told by lots of people she should be bigger, but i have also read that they shouldnt put on more weight a month than she does already. She was only 30g when i got her at 10 months old so over 8 months that works out as 3.75g a month, this seems a bit more than healthy to me, but then she seems light..? Her shell is beautiful, she has no raised scutes and doesnt seem to be neither fat nor thin.

Sorry for my first introductory post to be a question, but hopefully you all rmemebr your first times! lol

Thank you in advance :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Little Carter:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

I'll leave answering your question to others who are more familiar with Hermann's than I.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi! :tort: I am just going to address the hibernation issue okay? First generally we tell folks not to hibernate their animals the first year they have them. It gives you time to know they are completely healthy. Second, hibernation is not a HAVE to thing. The tortoises seem to do okay without hibernation. Of course, hibernating is the more natural way to go. If you are uncomfortable with it in any way (such as worry about the weight and the growth of your tortoise), then I personally suggest holding off til next year.

I have hibernated some and not others, so I am kinda on the line as to if I really think they should be hibernated or if it is not worth the risks. It's just one of those things we all need to draw our own opinions on. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.