Hello! Please reassure a 1st time hibernator!

Status
Not open for further replies.

adhards

5 Year Member
Hi All, I'm Adam from London, accidental owner of 2 Herman's tortoises about 4 years old. Nice to meet you all!

Can anyone help me with some reassurance?

I have just put my 2 tortoises in the fridge for hibernation but I cant help being very worried!

I put them on a fast for just over 4 weeks, bathed them and dropped the temperature over the weeks and they were both a safe weight to hibernate according to the Jacksons ratio.

They've been in the fridge about 7 hours now and I have checked on them a lot. One is as I would expect, limbs and head pulled in and very settled. The other, smaller one has the limbs and head poked out more and is a bit more alert.

Is this normal, how long do they take to really settle?

Many Thanks!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi Adam and welcome! This is such a hard time for folks when they are doing their first brumations. *hugs* It does take some tortoises a bit longer to settle in, just like it takes some caretakers longer to stop those hourly checks on said tortoises. ;) :D (It's a requirement I tease you a bit). Seriously, sounds like they are good to go and just need a little time to settle down for a cold winter's nap.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
see.... that is the reason I love sulcatas and Leopards!... NO Histarics about Burmation! (...and I WOULD be histarical!)

adhards

5 Year Member
Thanks very much Jacqui. They are now settled and I am a lot more calm. I'll look forward to seeing them again in the spring when they'll have a new and much bigger run that Im now in the process of planning and making. The old one is going on ebay!

Status
Not open for further replies.