Hello from West Virginia

BajatheChickenMan

Location (City and/or State)
West Virginia
Greetings all, I'm Baja and I added a small bio to tell a bit about myself to my profile. I am not new to reptiles but am looking at getting a tortoise for the first time. I've been doing my research and am still in the planning and prepping stages. I'm sure as time goes on I will have lots more questions and look forward to all of the fun discussions, and learning experiences.

For now I do have one question that I seem to be getting mixed answers on is can a pet tortoise thrive on a hillside environment? I live in Appalachia and have very limited flat yard space. I do have about an acre of yard but most of it is sloped and grass covered with a few trees. Would this be a problem? I know some species live in high elevations and hike up mountains and volcanoes all day. At the moment that's my biggest concern as this is my forever home and I'd like it to belong to a tortoise as well.

Thank you all for your time and happy to be here.

-Baja the Chicken Man

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Hello and welcome to the forum

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome
@Tom @Yvonne G @Markw84 probably can best answer this.
In my opinion it would depend on how steep and would it have to be climbing up or down all the time?
I would see it as a flipping problem if too steep. Also a lot of work if it always needs to be climbing to get to anything.
Is there any flat areas at all that could be the main area for the tortoises hide and water?

BajatheChickenMan

West Virginia
Hello and Welcome
@Tom @Yvonne G @Markw84 probably can best answer this.
In my opinion it would depend on how steep and would it have to be climbing up or down all the time?
I would see it as a flipping problem if too steep. Also a lot of work if it always needs to be climbing to get to anything.
Is there any flat areas at all that could be the main area for the tortoises hide and water?
Hey there and thanks for the reply!
I think I would have a couple options for some flat areas down in the bottom and middle that could work. Its flat at the top closer to the road but that also isnt going to be as quiet with cars going by, and also would mean the tortoise would have to hike up the hill every evening to go to sleep. I also have a patch of woods down at the bottom before the final fence to my property but plan to keep it as such. down near the wood line would be the best place to build watering area. I'm hoping to let them free roam a majority of the yard down the line.

Also I do not know the exact slope of the yard but id say most of it is 25- 30 degrees with a few steeper parts. I push mow it okay (hoping tortoise will help with that!)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Greetings all, I'm Baja and I added a small bio to tell a bit about myself to my profile. I am not new to reptiles but am looking at getting a tortoise for the first time. I've been doing my research and am still in the planning and prepping stages. I'm sure as time goes on I will have lots more questions and look forward to all of the fun discussions, and learning experiences.

For now I do have one question that I seem to be getting mixed answers on is can a pet tortoise thrive on a hillside environment? I live in Appalachia and have very limited flat yard space. I do have about an acre of yard but most of it is sloped and grass covered with a few trees. Would this be a problem? I know some species live in high elevations and hike up mountains and volcanoes all day. At the moment that's my biggest concern as this is my forever home and I'd like it to belong to a tortoise as well.

-Baja the Chicken Man
The answer depends on many factors. In general, it is fine, and beneficial for a large tortoise enclosure to be on a slope. Just not the whole thing and not too steep.

Pictures of the area might help us answer better.

What species are you interested in? How big of an area are we talking about?

BajatheChickenMan

West Virginia
The answer depends on many factors. In general, it is fine, and beneficial for a large tortoise enclosure to be on a slope. Just not the whole thing and not too steep.

Pictures of the area might help us answer better.

What species are you interested in? How big of an area are we talking about?
I'll have to upload some photos of the yard, but its just shy of an acre. Mostly grass with a few trees.
I am really interested in a Sulcata but since we do get winter here I think a species that hibernates may be better suited like a Marginated Tortoise.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown

-Baja the Chicken Man
Have to love a guy who's a chicken man who lives in a beautiful hilly state and who wants a tortoise. Welcome.

BajatheChickenMan

West Virginia
Have to love a guy who's a chicken man who lives in a beautiful hilly state and who wants a tortoise. Welcome.
Thank you! Of course I'm excited to go out this morning and take pics of my yard sloping but it snowed last night! haha. I am in the western part of WV so we dont get as much snow as the east but I am loving it out here. I've been here about 2 years so far.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Baja, and welcome to the Forum!

I don't think a sloping yard would make any difference to a tortoise. The main concern is what species can live in your climate. Something that brumates (sleeps through the cold weather) would fit better than a tortoise you hve to keep warm over the winter. Maybe a little Russian? They are hardy and forgiving of poor care and mistakes while you are learning.

BajatheChickenMan

West Virginia
Hi Baja, and welcome to the Forum!

I don't think a sloping yard would make any difference to a tortoise. The main concern is what species can live in your climate. Something that brumates (sleeps through the cold weather) would fit better than a tortoise you hve to keep warm over the winter. Maybe a little Russian? They are hardy and forgiving of poor care and mistakes while you are learning.
That is a good idea. I was looking into those little guys and sounds like they do withstand some fairly crazy climates. We get 4 seasons here but I havent experienced a harsh winter locally yet.