Hello from Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spencer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Ohio
Hello, I'm new here and fairly new to tortoise ownership as well. My brother has had Sulcatas for years and I've enjoyed them for a long time, but never had one for myself. When it came down to it, I actually ended up getting a Redfoot instead of a Sulcata, primarily because of their size. I "rescued" mine from craiglist and I say "rescued" because I don't think it was properly cared for. I don't believe it intentionally neglected, it was just raised with "pet store" advise. I was told (he/she?) still had the yolk sac when they got him, and that they had him for 3 years. He came with a small habitat and a standard household 100w lightbulb and appears to have been raised on iceberg lettuce. There is obvious pyramiding, i'm just not sure if it would be considered mild or severe for that age. Also not sure of the avg size for a 3 yr old redfoot, mine is approx 4.25"-4.5".
Again I am new to tortoise ownership so any advise is appreciated! Thanks!
photo 3.JPG

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    241.8 KB · Views: 41
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    578 KB · Views: 41
Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!!

The tortoise doesn't look to be too badly pyramided, but I think I may be seeing some slight sign of MBD. See how the shell sort of slopes down over the hips?

Be sure to feed him foods high in calcium and if possible, get him in the sun occasionally. You can also feed him the occasional insect/worm/animal protein.

There is some pretty good info on redfooted tortoises in the Tortoise Library

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) I was wondering the same thing Yvonne seen, the sloping. The pyramiding to me don't look too bad either.

Spencer

5 Year Member
Central Ohio
I guess I didn't notice or recognize the sloping. (not sure if I still do?) If it is in fact MBD, is that something that can be corrected or cured, or is it just curbed from this point on with a proper diet? Thanks for the input!

n3rdchik

5 Year Member
Michigan
Welcome! I am from Michigan and just venturing out in tort keeping.

Both your tort and young mammal are adorable!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I'm having trouble seeing the sloping.....
I've seen it on other chelonians but I must be blind today or something.

Cute tort though!

mttrhll

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Welcome. I'm an Ohioan and RF owner too. Looks like that guy will need a bigger pool to soak in. Good job rescuing so many of these guys don't get proper care :(

Spencer

5 Year Member
Central Ohio
Thanks, Matt...The water dish is for drinking water. He needs a larger enclosure. I soak him outside his enclosure for 20-30 min each day until i can get a larger one built.

Status
Not open for further replies.