Hello from Bakersfield, CA

robinson468

Location (City and/or State)
Bakersfield, CA
We accidentally became tortoise owners. My wife's aunt had a tortoise show up in her backyard a few days ago. It had somehow managed to get past 2 fences to get by her swimming pool and she discovered it there walking around the pool. Her family is moving to Missouri next week and we said we would take the tortoise and figure out what to do.

After googling photos we think we have a male Russian tortoise. I've been checking Craigslist for Lost Tortoise Ads but no luck there so far. Of course my 2 boys fell in love and want to keep him. My wife and I are fond of him as well so we thought we would give it a go.

After watching numerous well-meaning Youtube videos I came across this forum and I'm so glad I did. There is a wealth of info here and I think this is just what we need.

Ideally we would have researched first, and then got a tortoise but circumstances don't always cooperate. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions after I sift through the care sheet and numerous posts here. We have a lot to learn and we're quite overwhelmed at the moment.

We had him in a tub in our bathroom the first night. Then we spent all day yesterday digging out an above ground planter that's in our backyard and cleaning it up. We added peat moss and some straw and some rocks to climb around on. I bought about 5 different kinds of leafy greens and some squash and we have a water dish that's a flat plate. It's hot in Bakersfield now and that's my big concern. We shaded the planter with an umbrella and moistened the peat moss just a bit. I'm going to keep researching here and try to figure out what I need to do to best take care of him.

I'm always hesitant to ask questions in forums. The "Do-a-search" police can be brutal in many forums I've previously been involved with. I plan to keep reading and implementing improvements to the enclosure and diet as I go. If anyone should have any suggestions of things that should be addressed sooner than later I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
Rob

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Rob, and welcome to the Forum!

Russian tortoises are great little escape artists, so before you spend too much money making a home for this little guy, please do all you can to try to find his owners.

Yes, it's a small species, but even so, this little tortoise requires a lot of wandering room. If you don't provide a big enough space he'll keep trying to escape. So give him as big a space as you possible can. Then add in lots of sight barriers. When they can't see across their whole yard it makes it appear bigger to them. They have to walk around the sight barriers to see what's happening in their yard. Making tortoise enclosure is one of my best pastimes. I love decorating and planting and making it eye-pleasing as well as just right for the tortoise.

Can we see pictures of your new little guy?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We accidentally became tortoise owners. My wife's aunt had a tortoise show up in her backyard a few days ago. It had somehow managed to get past 2 fences to get by her swimming pool and she discovered it there walking around the pool. Her family is moving to Missouri next week and we said we would take the tortoise and figure out what to do.

After googling photos we think we have a male Russian tortoise. I've been checking Craigslist for Lost Tortoise Ads but no luck there so far. Of course my 2 boys fell in love and want to keep him. My wife and I are fond of him as well so we thought we would give it a go.

After watching numerous well-meaning Youtube videos I came across this forum and I'm so glad I did. There is a wealth of info here and I think this is just what we need.

Ideally we would have researched first, and then got a tortoise but circumstances don't always cooperate. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions after I sift through the care sheet and numerous posts here. We have a lot to learn and we're quite overwhelmed at the moment.

We had him in a tub in our bathroom the first night. Then we spent all day yesterday digging out an above ground planter that's in our backyard and cleaning it up. We added peat moss and some straw and some rocks to climb around on. I bought about 5 different kinds of leafy greens and some squash and we have a water dish that's a flat plate. It's hot in Bakersfield now and that's my big concern. We shaded the planter with an umbrella and moistened the peat moss just a bit. I'm going to keep researching here and try to figure out what I need to do to best take care of him.

I'm always hesitant to ask questions in forums. The "Do-a-search" police can be brutal in many forums I've previously been involved with. I plan to keep reading and implementing improvements to the enclosure and diet as I go. If anyone should have any suggestions of things that should be addressed sooner than later I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
Rob
Hello and welcome Rob! I love Bakersfield and hunt up there regularly during falconry season. Please let me know if you know of any god jackrabbit spots up there!

The moss is an impaction hazard, I would remove that ASAP. The straw won't mold in summer, but it will in winter, and it serves no purpose. I'd remove that too.

Your water dish looks just right for a tortoise of that size.

Here is the care info for your species, and questions are welcome:

robinson468

Bakersfield, CA
Hello and welcome Rob! I love Bakersfield and hunt up there regularly during falconry season. Please let me know if you know of any god jackrabbit spots up there!

The moss is an impaction hazard, I would remove that ASAP. The straw won't mold in summer, but it will in winter, and it serves no purpose. I'd remove that too.

Your water dish looks just right for a tortoise of that size.

Here is the care info for your species, and questions are welcome:
Hello and thanks for the welcome! I'm not familiar with any jackrabbit spots; in fact I wasn't aware of any hunting at all around here. It seems like it's just oil fields everywhere. But I'm fairly new to the area and haven't gotten around too much :)

Thanks for the tips on peat moss and straw. I'll need to address that as soon as I can get a replacement substrate.

That care sheet is newer than the one I had bookmarked. I had one of your earlier posts bookmarked as my care guide. I'm glad to have the newer one now. I'm not sure how I missed it.

I posted on Craigslist lost and found and I've been watching for any posts or flyers around the neighborhood but so far no luck with his original owner.

So I better dig into that newer care guide now

Thanks!

(edited when I realized you were the author of the care guide I was mentioning lol)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and thanks for the welcome! I'm not familiar with any jackrabbit spots; in fact I wasn't aware of any hunting at all around here. It seems like it's just oil fields everywhere. But I'm fairly new to the area and haven't gotten around too much :)

Thanks for the tips on peat moss and straw. I'll need to address that as soon as I can get a replacement substrate.

That care sheet is newer than the one I had bookmarked. I had one of your earlier posts bookmarked as my care guide. I'm glad to have the newer one now. I'm not sure how I missed it.

I posted on Craigslist lost and found and I've been watching for any posts or flyers around the neighborhood but so far no luck with his original owner.

So I better dig into that newer care guide now

Thanks!

(edited when I realized you were the author of the care guide I was mentioning lol)
Well if you happen to notice any empty fields with a bunch of rabbits running around, you just let me know...

Since you are new to the area, cheapest gas is at the Costco on Panama Lane. About a mile down the road from Costco is some of the best tasting food you will ever eat at Raising Canes Chicken Fingers.

Your questions are welcome, and I applaud you for rescuing this tortoise and trying to find its owners.

robinson468

Bakersfield, CA
Well after some review of the care sheet I do have questions. I think I'll go ahead and start a thread in an appropriate section or category. See ya there!