Hello Everyone, New turtle owner!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpacc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SW Idaho
Hello Tortoise Forum members,

I am a new owner of 3!!! eastern box turtles. (today!)

It seems late to be getting them, but they have been indoor pets since the weather got cool. They are 1 male and 2 females. They all arrived healthy, a little cool but a warm soak livened them up. Eyes are clear and no sign of respiratory illness.

The M/F pair are pretty social, and ate worms right away. The third wheel female is a little more shy, and restless. She has not eaten yet.

I have them set up in a large rubbermaid, with substrate of 2'' sand, 5''+/- Bed a beast, and 2''+ of sphagnum moss. Ceramic heat bulb, and reptisun 5.0. Large frisbee for water dish, a fern and a pothos.

They havent burrowed yet, i turned off the light, heat will stay on cause room is 65 degrees. They are just hanging out, watching me watch them when I check them. The one female has hid herself a little under the plant foliage.

Box turtle people..... let me know if this sounds good, and what to adjust.
They will move outdoors come spring into a 5x12 pen.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to TFO! Boxies are adorable but my experience with them is limited, so I'll let someone else answer your questions.

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
Boxies are fascinating. Enjoy them. I've gotten to work with 4 different species of Box turtles, so feel free to ask questions!

I wouldn't leave the heat on all day. Its not very natural for them. In their range, they have a nice swing of temperatures through the day. They'll do just dandy in 65 degrees. Especially since the rubbermaid isn't big enough for them to completely get away from the heat. We use timers for EVERYTHING. Lighting can be 11-12 hours of day this time of year, and keep the heat on with the lights. In the summer, we go 13-14 hours for light.

Substrate sounds fine, but personally, I'd mix it all together, rather than having layers. Make sure you check how moist is is at least once a week and add water when necessary.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Hi and welcome!!
I am a eastern box turtle owner too!! I have a male and female. I just adore them!! Please ask if you have any questions. They are great to have! :)

mpacc

5 Year Member
SW Idaho
Thanks for the replys, I will try mixing a bit, I have noticed they have covered in the moss a bit, but not dug into the coconut fiber.

I moved them to a slighly warmer area, heat will turn off at night, I will use timers on a power strip.

Am i okay to keep the 3 adults in the rubbermaid? I know it is tight, but it will only be until spring. Let me know.

Also, forfuture reference, has anyone ever kept more than onemale in a group with a large enclosure?

Thanks again for the replys!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, mpacc!

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
mpacc said:
Thanks for the replys, I will try mixing a bit, I have noticed they have covered in the moss a bit, but not dug into the coconut fiber.

I moved them to a slighly warmer area, heat will turn off at night, I will use timers on a power strip.

Am i okay to keep the 3 adults in the rubbermaid? I know it is tight, but it will only be until spring. Let me know.

Also, forfuture reference, has anyone ever kept more than onemale in a group with a large enclosure?

Thanks again for the replys!

Yeah, I think you'll be fine; but what are the dimensions of the rubbermaid?

My buddy and I keep his 2.3 groups in medium waterlands (6' x 3'), so it can be done. Just have to watch your male's personalities and have enough females to go around.

mpacc

5 Year Member
SW Idaho
here is the clan.....

Names not sure yet...
Hebrew for the male, markings on side shell look like Hebrew alphabet.

Females, not sure they will come i guess. Lemon Drop maybe and Shy.

The darker female is quite shy. The yellow male and female are very social. They have been Pets a while prior to me. Never got a complete backstory on the shy one.

Hebrew.jpg

LemonDrops.jpg

Shy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.