Hello and Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ojai

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California

Hello. This is a sad day for me. In 1999, a California Desert Tortoise my mother found laid eggs, and she gave them to me to incubate for my children. Of those that hatched, I kept two -- Wrinkle and Bump -- who have lived in the enclosed garden off of my bedroom for most of their 12 years. Bump is the burrower, and he prepared their hibernation space under the patio, which they have used for the last decade. I noticed at some point that one of them was partially visible. Periodically in the last month, I'd poke him a little to make his legs wriggle. Today, some visiting children tried to remove him; I thought he had become stuck, but in reality he was planting his forelegs and being stubborn. When we finally got him out it was Bump, which was unusual because he usually entered the hibernation burrow first. When we reached in for my sweet Wrinkle, the friendliest and more outgoing of the two (I never sexed Wrinkle), s/he was dead, obviously for some time, as insects had eaten all but her back legs. Bump is healthy, feisty, and doing fine. I am at a loss in understanding what happened to Wrinkle. My exotic animal veterinarian (to whom I once rushed Bump when he escaped and my dog picked him up and slightly punctured his shell) died recently, and I have no one to ask for an explanation. If someone has any ideas, I would really appreciate hearing them. Thanks.

Attachments

• Meiners Oaks-Ojai-20110801-00013.jpg
    Meiners Oaks-Ojai-20110801-00013.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 39

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ojai:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

That is truly a sad story. I'm so sorry for your loss. I hate hibernation. But I feel it is a necessary evil. You will never know what happened to the tortoise, but just know that this DOES happen. All the time.

What would you like us to call you?

I'm glad to have another desert tortoise keeper here with us. They are among my favorites.

Ojai

5 Year Member
Southern California
I think I should have used the quick reply. Thank you for your kind words, Yvonne, as I was blaming myself. I updated my signature page, so please call me Cathy. In the photo I attached is Wrinkle and my littlest Yorkie, Lily, who is grown up now, but still about three pounds. I'm glad I have the photo, as she and Wrinkle liked to hang together.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum....I am so sorry for your loss....rest in peace Wrinkles....

Is Bump ok? Does he look healthy as every other year coming out of brumation? If yes, I would venture to say that there had to have been some other cause/factor for your loss....and perhaps tois not automaticallythe say brumation as the reason...especially since they have been successful for so many young years....again, it is neither here not there at this point in your loss....I am sorry.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
WELCOME :D. So sorry for your loss:( that sucks. Sounds like he had a good life though while you had him, feel good about that. Hopefully it wasn't something that could make your other one sick.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

I can fathom a guess since I have seen and experienced this a few times. Your climate and temps are similar to mine. I'm about an hour south of you. People often make the assumption that since these come from CA and that they hibernate outside in CA in the wild that we can just plop them in a back yard with no heat or human interference, and they are fine. Well occasionally they are fine for a while, but eventually what you experienced happens. They don't dig down nearly as deep in our backyards as they do in the wild, and the weather is quite a bit different in most of CA than it is in the Mojave desert. I would never let one of mine hibernate outside with out a very elaborate, very deep, man made burrow, and even then it is just safer to bring them inside and let them hibernate in a box on the floor of a cold garage or basement. It needs to be cold, but not freezing. Typical backyard burrows are often shallow and only a few feet deep. This is not enough to protect them from those below freezing winter nights. That they survive at even one year like this simply demonstrates how tough and resilient they are. Many times its the temperature fluctuations throughout our sunny warm CA winters that throws them off. It was in the 80's through most of Dec. and Jan. and I think many of them started to wake up, only to be caught unprepared when the "normal" cold returned. If they were in a 30 foot long 10 foot deep burrow in the desert, they probably would not have even known it was warm outside. If they were on the cold floor of a garage in a dark box same scenario. But in a shallow, open to the surface air, burrow in a typical backyard, they warm up too much in one of our winter warm spells.

Because we house them in artificial situations, it is my opinion that we must artificially help to prepare them, hibernate them, and help them out of hibernation too.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Oh my gosh, how horrible and sad! I hate insects.. :( Poor Wrinkle. ugh it hurts to think of any torts getting eaten by bugs. It would be nice to give him a proper burial :(

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Welcome Cathy, sorry to meet under your sad circumstances. We try to do what's best, but unfortunately it's not always the case.
Tom that makes so much sense, and even here in Mass we had such a screwy winter I worried so much about my 2 ornates. Luckly I had better luck, but I did prepare my soil to allow for a deeper plunge into the depths!.Seemed to work.
Take care. Nay

Status
Not open for further replies.