heating pad for baby leo

mattramsfan76

so as some of you guys know i am anticipating the arrival of by baby leo tort. i know they need to stay warm, especially at night. so my question is should i put a heating pad under her hide box that is going to be the humid hide which will also have a ceramic heat emitter near it? or is this too much? I could also use the CHE to heat the ambient air in the enclosure and move it from the hide box. thanks everyone!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Be careful what type of pad you use. Some of them tell you not to have anything on them. I have a seedling heat mat, bought at a hardware store to put under seedling trays in the greenhouse. I have it under the substrate under the tortoise's hiding place. Then there is about 3" of moist substrate and some moist sphagnum moss packed into the hiding place. The box the mat comes in says it doesn't get hotter than 80F degrees. I put my hand in there where the baby is, and it is nice and warm. (and moist and humid)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I didn't even look at brand names...just picked it up in the nursery department.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What is the temperature inside your humid hide? This will determine if you need supplemental heat or not.