heating ideas for my little golden greek

nicholas lim

hey all,

so recently my dad and i built a new enclosure for sheldon. he's a 1yr old golden greek. he was in a 12x12x30 terrarium i got at petco on sale but he outgrew it quick. this new enclosure is a lot larger for him to roam around but i find heating to be a little bit of an issue. during the day the lit side is fine. it sits around 90 for basking and high 80's in the middle. the thing is, we made a little "room" for him at the far end of the enclosure that has a top cover. He goes in there at night but i'm concerned it's too cold for him. when i pluck him out for his bath, he's a little cold to the touch. I currently run a 125w mercury vapor bulb, and a 150w CHE set on a thermostat for 78 (this setting keeps it right around 80's under it at night.

i enclosed a picture of the new setup. i lowered the center lamp (che) to the same level as the mvb.

is he ok getting a little cold at night? i was under the impression that he'll self regulate and walk over to the heated side if he gets cold? i think if i left the cover on the "room" it would make it a little warmer but i'm just afraid none of the heat would inside the room.

I have another 100w CHE i'm not using, i was thinking about putting that one on the far right with a lower temp thermostat. hc_1465276038794.jpg