Heat Cables

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
does anyone have any experience with waterproof heat cables under the substrate to raise humidity? my plan is to put the coco coir on top and use the cable on a thermostat to help raise humidity

looking for any thoughts on this or good brands of cables to sue

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't remember who, but there is at least one member. Hopefully they will see this.
I always have concerns with them short circuiting. If I were going to do it, I would put it under a false floor some how, so the tort could never reach it.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
I can't remember who, but there is at least one member. Hopefully they will see this.
I always have concerns with them short circuiting. If I were going to do it, I would put it under a false floor some how, so the tort could never reach it.

the substrate will be at least 6 inches deep and my redfoot never digs besides just kinda making a rut in the ground for his body

im honestly more worried about it getting to hot and catching the coir on fire lol

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My closed chamber has heat ropes taped to the underside of the glass on the outside.
I placed 1/2" feet on the corners of the tank to raise it up for air flow. With orchid bark covered by potting soil and wetted, it did a good job of raising the heat and it also bumped up the humidity and I liked it, except I found that in my situation I could achieve good enough temps without the heat rope at all, so I unplugged it and it's still there, mounted.
I found that the heated sticky pads get too hot and can shatter the glass when water hits the hot areas.
(My closed chamber is primarily glass)
But the heat ropes only get nice and warm. Never actually hot. And do a good job of warming the damp substrate without any danger of super heating.
I did this because I was also very worried about being electrocuted.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
My closed chamber has heat ropes taped to the underside of the glass on the outside.
I placed 1/2" feet on the corners of the tank to raise it up for air flow. With orchid bark covered by potting soil and wetted, it did a good job of raising the heat and it also bumped up the humidity and I liked it, except I found that in my situation I could achieve good enough temps without the heat rope at all, so I unplugged it and it's still there, mounted.
I found that the heated sticky pads get too hot and can shatter the glass when water hits the hot areas.
(My closed chamber is primarily glass)
But the heat ropes only get nice and warm. Never actually hot. And do a good job of warming the damp substrate without any danger of super heating.
I did this because I was also very worried about being electrocuted.

yeah i found some waterproof heat cables at bigappleherp but i want to actually put them under the substrate it's a wood enclosure so i'd do me no good going under the enclosure itself