Heat and light vs flip danger

tinyherms

So Tinyherms and I have yet another question. I bought a fancy light timer for my mercury UVA/UVB basking lamp which will do 12 hours on and 12 hours off. However, when I met Tinyherms for the first time, I was told by the breeder that if I go out of the house, I should turn off the lamp because of the danger of him flipping under the lamp. Usually there is someone else in the house, so it isn't a problem because they can check on tinyherms, but next week I will be going to work and was going to rely on the timer. I know the little bitty herms needs a lot of sunlight (12 hours a day) and heat, but I'm now a bit nervous about using the timer. Will he suffer from a week without enough UVA/UVB and heat? Or is the risk of flipping too big? I will be out for about 12 hours each day. I don't really have an option here, so I'd be glad of some sound advice.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Rather than remove or turning off my lights, I remove flip hazards. Does your tortoise frequently get flipped over?

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I agree, simply remove any flip hazards. Tortoises are cold blooded and need a heating element to control their temps.

tinyherms

He's only done it once - and that was certainly a flip hazard which is now removed. But is the risk of baking himself just too high? The breeder made me really nervous, but I don't want him to be cold for a week!

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
He's only done it once - and that was certainly a flip hazard which is now removed. But is the risk of baking himself just too high? The breeder made me really nervous, but I don't want him to be cold for a week!

If you removed all flip hazards he should be fine. Another good option is keeping him outdoors when weather permits.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I don't think he should be without heat for a week. I work and no one is home 8 hours a day. I suppose tragedy can always strike, but they have to have heat.